Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 368

Thread: The Irish border - it's bootcamp time for slow-learning Brexiteers.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Gleann an Dhorn Daingean
    Posts
    7,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The Irish border - it's bootcamp time for slow-learning Brexiteers.

    Some of us may have seen the footage from Channel 4 News last night depicting various British people attempting to draw the Irish border. I don't think it's entirely coincidental that the guy at the end who showed the greatest understanding of the complexities of the issue was the one who made by far the best attempt at drawing it.

    During the run-up to the Brexit referendum in June last year, some Irish politicians such as Enda Kenny did point out that the border would cause major complications in the event that the UK voted to leave the EU. They were invariably told to shut up and stop being "offensive".

    In my experience, there is a significant number of British (especially English) people who have never cottoned on to the relationships between these islands. Many are not precisely sure of Northern Ireland's position within the UK. Some seem to think that the Republic of Ireland is in the UK. In that light, it's no surprise that the NI/ROI border didn't feature as an issue in the campaign and - without actual evidence - I'd hazard a large bet that those who voted for Brexit were the ones who were by far the more ignorant about it.

    Well, sit back, my dear Brexiteers. Over the next few weeks, ye'll learn more about the NI/RoI border than ye learned in your whole lives.

    EDIT: Thanks to Deadlock for highlighting this:
    The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK
    Last edited by Wascurito; 29th November 2017 at 02:36 PM.
    Pero camarada, ya han pasado.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member PBP voter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7,604
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's the EU who want a border.

    They are punishing us for Brexit because they are bullies. Just like they were with the banks.

    Anything to save their "project". Little Ireland doesnt count.
    We appreciate the move by the Government today and remind ourselves that it is a bail-out by taxpayers for the banks. Pearse Doherty

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There will be a big large hard border as long as Ireland wants to play the United Nations and invite the world and his dog to live here.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    Some of us may have seen the footage from Channel 4 News last night depicting various British people attempting to draw the Irish border. I don't think it's entirely coincidental that the guy at the end who showed the greatest understanding of the complexities of the issue was the one who made by far the best attempt at drawing it.

    During the run-up to the Brexit referendum in June last year, some Irish politicians such as Enda Kenny did point out that the border would cause major complications in the event that the UK voted to leave the EU. They were invariably told to shut up and stop being "offensive".

    In my experience, there is a significant number of British (especially English) people who have never cottoned on to the relationships between these islands. Many are not precisely sure of Northern Ireland's position within the UK. Some seem to think that the Republic of Ireland is in the UK. In that light, it's no surprise that the NI/ROI border didn't feature as an issue in the campaign and - without actual evidence - I'd hazard a large bet that those who voted for Brexit were the ones who were by far the more ignorant about it.

    Well, sit back, my dear Brexiteers. Over the next few weeks, ye'll learn more about the NI/RoI border than ye learned in your whole lives.
    Hardly surprising since David Davis himself pronounced "One of our really challenging issues to deal with will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland, and we are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom" ...

    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/07/brexit-minister-david-davis-thinks-republic-ireland-part-uk
    http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-17/d...-negotiations/

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FUIS CKLAM
    Posts
    15,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Britain has a population of 60m , they aint going to swivel on a stick just to pander to some cranks on either side in the North.
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Gleann an Dhorn Daingean
    Posts
    7,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Hardly surprising since David Davis himself pronounced "One of our really challenging issues to deal with will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland, and we are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom" ...

    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/07/brexit-minister-david-davis-thinks-republic-ireland-part-uk
    http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-17/d...-negotiations/
    Oh dear.....oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......

    "The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK"
    Pero camarada, ya han pasado.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    15,670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The old one in the VT thinks she has it sussed, "The Irish are just causing trouble because they lost and it is very petty from them"

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6,973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    Oh dear.....oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......

    "The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK"
    Maybe they are planning to invade us and give reunification the country under British rule. Could be a good thing, and it's not like there are any real men anymore to stop them.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Se0samh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    It's the EU who want a border.

    They are punishing us for Brexit because they are bullies. Just like they were with the banks.

    Anything to save their "project". Little Ireland doesnt count.

    Your usual mix of BS and outright lies...Brexit is the "means" by which little englanders take back control of "their" own borders...otherwise there is no point... innit...
    Me pinguem et nitidum bene curata cute vises, cum ridere voles Epicuri de grege porcum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8K0bPc-BE For when just isn't enough.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    Oh dear.....oh dear, oh dear, oh dear......

    "The Brexit minister David Davis thinks the Republic of Ireland is part of the UK"
    With shepherds of that calibre leading the flock ...


Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •