Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leonardo's Salvador Mundi a fake?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Leonardo's Salvador Mundi a fake?

The painting Salvator Mundi purported to be by Leonardo Da Vinci sold for a world record 450 million last week but doubts continue to surround the identity of the artist who painted it.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...salvator-mundi

There is no doubt that the high money art market is primarily concerned with storing and handing down wealth and possibly even money laundering.

Regardless of whether Da Vinci painted the original black and white picture, the coloured 'restored' version is a completely different painting of a man with a different bone structure.
    We will never meet God. We will never meet alien life either apart from microbes. Biodiversity is Earth's only true treasure and our only companions in eternity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fake News?
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Tell me, why don't you like Mundi?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$450,000,000 for a painting, that cannot be confirmed as a genuine work....

Mind boggling.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post

Mind boggling.
    You could buy a one bed apartment in south Dublin for that money ! Maybe even a two bed if you shop around and aren't too fussy about having running water.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i hope so

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post

Mind boggling.
    The thing is, if it even was a Da Vinci - they defaced it. It's a completely different painting. That's modern greed to a t. To a t.
    We will never meet God. We will never meet alien life either apart from microbes. Biodiversity is Earth's only true treasure and our only companions in eternity.

Stick to the essential points:
    • is a provenance based entirely on "expert" opinion a total banker?
    • is a heavy-restored image still the "original"?
    • if the name of Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci couldn't be invoked, would anyone give it house-room?

OK.

So what other benefits are there to ownership? —
    • bragging rights?
    • polishing (be it national or commercial) some operation's jobbie?
    • not ... err ... money laundering? No, no: perish the thought!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, Leonardo *did* paint a Salvador Mundi, based on studies of it by artists at the time. Question is whether this is an understudy's work (no, based on the x-rays showing re-posing, and based on records), and whether it's been painted over completely (also no). No doubt good sales and marketing by Christies has been a factor in the high sale price.

if the name of Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci couldn't be invoked, would anyone give it house-room?
    The name "Leonardo da Vinci" doesn't carry weight for no reason.
    Last edited by sadcitizen; 20th November 2017 at 11:40 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I've seen a few of his paintings and I'm not convinced it's one of his, but I'm no expert. Whether it's genuine or not whoever bought it has deep pockets and it it's a museum or art gallery then the speculation will draw a lot of visitors for years to come. It'd would be a hook to reel people in. My bet is it's been bought by a Russian oligarch who has run out of things to spend money on.
    I thought for a bit you might be our esteemed Eagle of the Ninth redux, but as she'd never use the phrase 'I'm no expert but...' you're off the hook;

the one I loved as an example of modern art market hooey, was D. Hirsts diamond
    skull.

Unable to flog it himself he formed a 'consortium' to shell out.

In that way the price of his other work didn't take a nosedive as investors got sniffy.

His reason for being instrumental in this cosortium? Well he wanted an input into how it was to be displayed around the world!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast