Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 143

Thread: Evidence that Varadkar is doing a Good Job on Brexit

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,153
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Evidence that Varadkar is doing a Good Job on Brexit

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/494097...t-and-grow-up/

    The English right wing tabloids are gunning for Varadkar (and Ireland) this morning by reminding the great British public how "we" bailed "them" out in 2010 and now "they" (us) are threatening to stall Brexit negotiations.

    Personally feel that this reaction must mean that Leo is doing a good job on Brexit. We have the Brits over a barrel and they know it. I hope they have the stomach to veto progress to trade talks if we don't get enough on the border by December.

    But for now, I congratulate Leo and Simon for annoying the sun.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Alan Alda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Varadker is doing what he is told by Tusk and the like.
    He has no real say in how Brexit pans out.
    Its for other,larger countries to decide.
    But yes, he is doing a 'good job' ,if you think treachery is a worthy occupation.
    I love all the different cheeses.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,153
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alda View Post
    Varadker is doing what he is told by Tusk and the like.
    He has no real say in how Brexit pans out.
    Its for other,larger countries to decide.
    You don't realise it, but you reference two outcomes there that are at odds and the heart of the supranationalist/Intergovernmentalist debate in the EU. Frankly, it is boring.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Gleann an Dhorn Daingean
    Posts
    7,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alda View Post
    Varadker is doing what he is told by Tusk and the like.
    He has no real say in how Brexit pans out.
    Its for other,larger countries to decide.
    But yes, he is doing a 'good job' ,if you think treachery is a worthy occupation.
    No, the word from Brussels is that when it comes the NI/ROI border, they're happy to "take their cue" from Dublin. That was stated on the RTÉ News last night.

    Your comments about treachery are silly and hysterical. Get a grip on yourself.
    Pero camarada, ya han pasado.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Posts
    63,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alda View Post
    Varadker is doing what he is told by Tusk and the like.
    He has no real say in how Brexit pans out.
    Its for other,larger countries to decide.
    But yes, he is doing a 'good job' ,if you think treachery is a worthy occupation.
    Rubbish

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Under the big log outside Tullybarna
    Posts
    23,242
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Varadkar and Ireland are useful to the Brussels negotiators for putting pressure on London over the hard border issue.

    But when it comes down to it and Brussels and London have a broad agreement Varadkar will be told by Brussels to back off. And he will.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,041
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    As long as everyone's happy that whatever soft border and crappy oversight they choose to put in place is going to be funded by the UK and EU centrally, and we don't have to take back anyone crossing the border illegally, I struggle to see the issue with that as an outcome in the short term.

    The longer term though will see an influx of english accents in Mosney and hanging around the corners of Dublin begging for a nicker for a cup of rosie lee.



    Breaking Point!
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    42,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/494097...t-and-grow-up/

    The English right wing tabloids are gunning for Varadkar (and Ireland) this morning by reminding the great British public how "we" bailed "them" out in 2010 and now "they" (us) are threatening to stall Brexit negotiations.

    Personally feel that this reaction must mean that Leo is doing a good job on Brexit. We have the Brits over a barrel and they know it. I hope they have the stomach to veto progress to trade talks if we don't get enough on the border by December.

    But for now, I congratulate Leo and Simon for annoying the sun.
    Yes, I think Varadkar played a blinder yesterday. I hope he keeps it up.

    The fact is that the UK cannot leave the EU and maintain a soft border in Ireland. It has clearly emerged that these are totally incompatible aims.

    The Brits just hope to fudge the issue until the last moment, and then make it look as if the Irish are holding up a deal. The Government is right to demand this is settled now.

    Notice the "patriots" (i.e. fascists) attacking Varadkar for not slavishly caving to the Brits. Oh, the irony.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    42,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Varadkar and Ireland are useful to the Brussels negotiators for putting pressure on London over the hard border issue.

    But when it comes down to it and Brussels and London have a broad agreement Varadkar will be told by Brussels to back off. And he will.
    As I point out, that is exactly the Brits' plan.

    Leo Varadkar is right to get the Brits' commitments in writing, now, and not something they can go back on later.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14,820
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Leo should be preparing to accept the Six Counties home .

    Demographics and Brexit are bringing the Six Counties back . Leo should be preparing and cut out the incessant photoshoots .

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •