Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 94

Thread: The silent graphs thread

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    53,757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default The silent graphs thread

    Based on this: http://www.politics.ie/forum/history...ic-images.html

    A thread to post graphs without comment that tell us something about the world we live in.

    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    53,757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,248
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Rorschach graphs?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,028
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Based on this: http://www.politics.ie/forum/history...ic-images.html

    A thread to post graphs without comment that tell us something about the world we live in.

    Silent graphs = decontextualised data

    They are therefore inherently prone to being misleading.

    For instance, the graph you post, like many graph from the financial sector, has a Y axis which does not include zero.
    Why is such misleading graphics the norm in finance?

    If the y axis went all the way down to zero, this info could be conveyed with the context clearer.
    "If everyone is in agreement to condemn someone accused, release him for he must be innocent." -Emmanuel Levinas

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    53,757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    Silent graphs = decontextualised data

    They are therefore inherently prone to being misleading.

    For instance, the graph you post, like many graph from the financial sector, has a Y axis which does not include zero.
    Why is such misleading graphics the norm in finance?

    If the y axis went all the way down to zero, this info could be conveyed with the context clearer.
    Great post; just the kind of thing I was hoping for. I suggested that the poster of the graph make no comment, but I said nothing about not responding.

    As to your question, I honestly don't know why the Y axis is so often foreshortened like this; I wish I did.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Debater
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here there and everywhere.
    Posts
    40,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Great post; just the kind of thing I was hoping for. I suggested that the poster of the graph make no comment, but I said nothing about not responding.

    As to your question, I honestly don't know why the Y axis is so often foreshortened like this; I wish I did.
    To convey the chosen message to the appropriate audience..

    Example: you are presenting to different groups on anticipated redundancies in a company of one thousand people. The aim is to reduce the number of staff to 900 over a period of several months..

    When presenting to senior management, setting the y-axis to start at 900 shows great progress.

    When presenting to unions, setting the base at 0 reduces the visual impact.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default


  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    53,757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    There was an interesting programme on RTE last night, Weather Live. They talked about a shrub in the Botanic Gardens in Dublin where records of seasonal cycles have been kept for 40 years. It now flowers two weeks earlier, on average, than it did 40 years ago.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    There was an interesting programme on RTE last night, Weather Live. They talked about a shrub in the Botanic Gardens in Dublin where records of seasonal cycles have been kept for 40 years. It now flowers two weeks earlier, on average, than it did 40 years ago.
    Indeed, the graphic also shows how the term West Brit tis incorrect yez are all either South West Brit or Narth West Brit...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •