Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 172

Thread: 7 November 1917 - Revolution in Russia - 100 years ago today

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default 7 November 1917 - Revolution in Russia - 100 years ago today

    (Seeing as Catalpast is going on a run of 'today in history' - this one deserves a mention)

    Today 100 years ago was one of the most momentous events in history - the Russian Revolution.

    A mass movement by the working class and the peasantry in Russia overthrew the Tsarist regime and created the first workers state. In response the monarchists in Russia and the imperialist powers of the West launched a counter-revolutionary invasion to overthrow the workers state, leading to the bloodiest civil war in human history.

    An important retrospective look at the Russian Revolution and its legacy today from the Socialist Party - The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The Living Legacy of the October Revolution
    Separate Church and State

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Henry94.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There is no doubt the revolution was justified and represented a moment of hope for the world. We can't shy away from the catastrophes that followed which have undermined the credibility of the left in the eyes of workers ever since. The Trotskyist parties can claim to have stood up against the abuses of power in the USSR and elsewhere but they haven't really come up with an alternative to the very flawed model of Democratic Centralism which was the cause of the abuses. The left needs to repudiate Lenin, not just Stalin.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Aristodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why was it called the October Revolution?
    "Let's be fair about it, we all partied" St. Brian Lenihan November 17th 2010

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,062
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    (Seeing as Catalpast is going on a run of 'today in history' - this one deserves a mention)

    Today 100 years ago was one of the most momentous events in history - the Russian Revolution.

    A mass movement by the working class and the peasantry in Russia overthrew the Tsarist regime and created the first workers state. In response the monarchists in Russia and the imperialist powers of the West launched a counter-revolutionary invasion to overthrow the workers state, leading to the bloodiest civil war in human history.

    An important retrospective look at the Russian Revolution and its legacy today from the Socialist Party - The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The Living Legacy of the October Revolution
    My Blog is devoted to Irish History

    But of course this was a momentous day in European and World History

    It ushered in one of the most brutal and tyrannous Regimes of the 20th century or indeed in the History of Mankind
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member paulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    There is no doubt the revolution was justified and represented a moment of hope for the world. We can't shy away from the catastrophes that followed which have undermined the credibility of the left in the eyes of workers ever since. The Trotskyist parties can claim to have stood up against the abuses of power in the USSR and elsewhere but they haven't really come up with an alternative to the very flawed model of Democratic Centralism which was the cause of the abuses. The left needs to repudiate Lenin, not just Stalin.
    Justified? yes.
    Was it the right approach?
    Are they not still living with the consequences? (no democracy)
    There is no Keyser Soze

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    (Seeing as Catalpast is going on a run of 'today in history' - this one deserves a mention)

    Today 100 years ago was one of the most momentous events in history - the Russian Revolution.

    A mass movement by the working class and the peasantry in Russia overthrew the Tsarist regime and created the first workers state. In response the monarchists in Russia and the imperialist powers of the West launched a counter-revolutionary invasion to overthrow the workers state, leading to the bloodiest civil war in human history.

    An important retrospective look at the Russian Revolution and its legacy today from the Socialist Party - The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The Living Legacy of the October Revolution

    The legacy?


    100 million dead.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,062
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry94. View Post
    There is no doubt the revolution was justified and represented a moment of hope for the world. We can't shy away from the catastrophes that followed which have undermined the credibility of the left in the eyes of workers ever since. The Trotskyist parties can claim to have stood up against the abuses of power in the USSR and elsewhere but they haven't really come up with an alternative to the very flawed model of Democratic Centralism which was the cause of the abuses. The left needs to repudiate Lenin, not just Stalin.
    Trotsky was every bit as ruthless and murderous as Lenin or Stalin

    - he wouldn't have batted an eyelid at putting you up against a wall if you were against the Soviets

    - or even been suspected of such
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Millions perished from the tyranny that followed but the left love that.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Trotsky was every bit as ruthless and murderous as Lenin or Stalin

    - he wouldn't have batted an eyelid at putting you up against a wall if you were against the Soviets

    - or even been suspected of such
    The communists were brutal full stop in many cases even surpassing the nazis but the looney left don't seem to have a problem with them.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,062
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    This should be a day of Commemoration

    - and not Celebration.

    If the Soviet Union is the model that the self styled 'Socialist Party' wish to impose on Ireland

    - then please don't vote for them

    - because they clearly are not democrats
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •