Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Study in Germany: Alarming decline in the nr of insects

Default Study in Germany: Alarming decline in the nr of insects

Insektensterben: Zahl der Insekten in Deutschland sinkt deutlich - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Sorry it's all in German, but the gist of it is that they Scientists set up these net-like or tent-like things to trap the insects in a nr of nature reserves, just to get a head-count. Results are a bit shocking.
    This would tally with the decline in the bee population.
    Pie have thread on that too!
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/environ...8524-bees.html

I think there's also a decline in the nr of birds. Well if it's all about the birds and the bees, homo sapiens must be somewhere down the line.

Well something else to make you sit up straight and worry. Sorry Insectology is just humbug to me. And I don't know much about bees except that they are needed to polinate the fruit and veggies.
    Why start a thread on it? Well I think it's important for pie readers to be aware of what's going on in the world out there that's not the world of men.
    Someone should make a movie about this place.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have noticed a decline in the fly population.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The insect population appears to have fallen off a cliff. Anecdotal evidence of clean windscreens is being borne out by scientific research.
    We rely on insects for most of our food. The outcome may be widescale famine, unless we pay attention.

I can recall (back when i was a nipper) my dear old dad having to wash the windscreen free of insects every twenty, thirty forty miles or so on a summer drive, especially in the midlands.
    Not like that now.
    One of my memories of that times is the flight of wild geese. (The real birds now, nothing to do with mercaneries or emigrants). It's a rare sight now.
    Plenty of pigeons and starlings and sparrows though.
    Someone should make a movie about this place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not really a surprise. Intensive farming, pesticides, the fact that the countryside is being concreted over, pollution etc etc etc. It's all very well recycling plastic bags but it changes nothing. We should have stuck with paper and glass and stopped as much of the plastic as possible. Now the oceans are destroyed with plastic, birds are feeding their babies plastic thinking it's food, the creatures in the ocean are being killed by the plastic in the water.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is why people should mostly grow organic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yosef shompeter View Post
    I can recall (back when i was a nipper) my dear old dad having to wash the windscreen free of insects every twenty, thirty forty miles or so on a summer drive, especially in the midlands.
    Not like that now.
    One of my memories of that times is the flight of wild geese. (The real birds now, nothing to do with mercaneries or emigrants). It's a rare sight now.
    Plenty of pigeons and starlings and sparrows though.
    The sparrow population is in freefall in Europe. If insect numbers decline then it's to be expected that animals which feed on insects will also suffer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They have obviously been trampled by the muslim hoards.
    A man cannot give birth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chemtrails?

Just putting it out there

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Should tell that to the bastards in/on the house at the moment. Wasps Bees Elder Bugs ladybugs.. the whole side of the house facing the sun is black and crawling.....and as for the windshield not getting bugged up???

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast