Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Study in Germany: Alarming decline in the nr of insects

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    first the insects disappear, then the whole ecosystem collapses in on itself. Mankind stands idly by and comments ''nothing to do with me govner'
    Ah shure its Christmas. We don't think about humankind's self destruction at the season of goodwill to all.

Well, except insects obviously.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    first the insects disappear, then the whole ecosystem collapses in on itself. Mankind stands idly by and comments ''nothing to do with me govner'
    Then I look at all the stupid stories in the news that drown this one out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yosef shompeter View Post
    Insektensterben: Zahl der Insekten in Deutschland sinkt deutlich - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Sorry it's all in German, but the gist of it is that they Scientists set up these net-like or tent-like things to trap the insects in a nr of nature reserves, just to get a head-count. Results are a bit shocking.
    This would tally with the decline in the bee population.
    Pie have thread on that too!
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/environ...8524-bees.html

I think there's also a decline in the nr of birds. Well if it's all about the birds and the bees, homo sapiens must be somewhere down the line.

Well something else to make you sit up straight and worry. Sorry Insectology is just humbug to me. And I don't know much about bees except that they are needed to polinate the fruit and veggies.
    Why start a thread on it? Well I think it's important for pie readers to be aware of what's going on in the world out there that's not the world of men.
    I blame the refubees.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a damming indictment of the several decades in which the Greens were in government in Germany - their farmland bird populations are in steep decline too!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    Then I look at all the stupid stories in the news that drown this one out.
    Heads in the sand I believe its called.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Its a damming indictment of the several decades in which the Greens were in government in Germany - their farmland bird populations are in steep decline too!!
    That's one of the worst troll attempts I've seen here - an achievement in itself. Congrats.

Dublin-Male-Hetero-ABFF but worried about FGLab
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes these worries get bigger instead of smaller
    Surpised that this hasn't got a mention no Pie... even RTE brought it up on their news.

Study: Insect species fall could be 'catastrophic' for Earth - CNN Video

Study: Insect species fall could be 'catastrophic' for Earth
    More than 40% of insect species could become extinct in the next few decades, according to a new report co-authored by scientists from the universities of Sydney and Queensland and the China Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
    Source: CNN
    But I was thinking to myself: Just one/two weeks back the news was all about a massive heat wave in Australia (in the meantime they have massive rains)... Where? In South... I said South Australia -- away from the equator they had a record temperature reading of 46.6 degrees Celcius. Well that means 46.6 degrees in the shade. That's nearly half way to boiling point 100 degrees celcius. So if it's that hot in the shade, what's it like in the sun? I hope the insects can find enough space in the shade out their in the outback.
    "Well, OK. Fine. As long as it comes with a steady paycheck, I'd believe whatever they wanted me to believe, as the Guy in Ghostbusters said."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shpake View Post
    Sometimes these worries get bigger instead of smaller
    Surpised that this hasn't got a mention no Pie... even RTE brought it up on their news.

Study: Insect species fall could be 'catastrophic' for Earth - CNN Video

But I was thinking to myself: Just one/two weeks back the news was all about a massive heat wave in Australia (in the meantime they have massive rains)... Where? In South... I said South Australia -- away from the equator they had a record temperature reading of 46.6 degrees Celcius. Well that means 46.6 degrees in the shade. That's nearly half way to boiling point 100 degrees celcius. So if it's that hot in the shade, what's it like in the sun? I hope the insects can find enough space in the shade out their in the outback.
    Some further reading:

Plummeting insect numbers 'threaten collapse of nature' | Environment | The Guardian

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678