Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The UK-US "special relationship" - a joke according to Obama

Politics.ie Member Degeneration X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The UK-US "special relationship" - a joke according to Obama

A former foreign policy expert who advised to ex-POTUS Barack Obama Jeremy Shapiro has claimed that the special relationship is far more important to Britain than to the US. He said it is “unrequited” and cruelly mocked when the cameras were turned off.

He claimed in the Obama White House they liked to insert references to the Falklands during press conferences in order to mock the UK:

"From my perspective it was very important for us to mention the special relationship in every press conference that we had when the UK were here.

“But really we laughed about it behind the scenes. Typically, I would try and slip in a reference to the Malvinas or something to spoil it.”

He also said: the relationship between Britain and the US is “the kind of relationship we would have with other countries.”

Shapiro said Donald Trump would not be any kinder to Britain, saying the new President is “playing” with Prime Minister Theresa May to get a better trade deal. He said Trump is “willing to exploit” the UK.

https://www.rt.com/uk/406216-obama-m...-relationship/

So, this is of course not news to though of us who know of the real balance of power between the US and the UK but is anyone surprised that a POTUS would so openly mock the UK whilst in Office?

Also isn't the pusillanimity of the British in regards to such things a sign of real decrepitude?

Discuss?
    Last edited by Degeneration X; 10th October 2017 at 08:22 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Suez showed what a lie it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests.

- Henry Kissinger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 'special relationship' is generally only used by politicians, particularly British ones.
    I don't think the British public really believed in it and most of the American public probably never even heard of it.
    'The rich always betray the poor’. - Henry Joy McCracken

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Degeneration X View Post
    He claimed Obama often liked to insert references to the Falklands during press conferences in order to mock the UK:

"From my perspective it was very important for us to mention the special relationship in every press conference that we had when the UK were here.

“But really we laughed about it behind the scenes. Typically, I would try and slip in a reference to the Malvinas or something to spoil it.”

Discuss?

Obama is real class act. Real class.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The British have always no more than a lap dog in the US UK relationship.

Same with the nonsense of our Government of the day calling our relationship with America special , it is no more special than what dozens of other countries have with them as well.

There are no real friends in International terms just shared interests at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Degeneration X View Post
    A former foreign policy expert who advised to ex-POTUS Barack Obama Jeremy Shapiro has claimed that the special relationship is far more important to Britain than to the US. He said it is “unrequited” and cruelly mocked when the cameras were turned off.

He claimed Obama often liked to insert references to the Falklands during press conferences in order to mock the UK:

He also said: the relationship between Britain and the US is “the kind of relationship we would have with other countries.”

Shapiro said Donald Trump would not be any kinder to Britain, saying the new President is “playing” with Prime Minister Theresa May to get a better trade deal. He said Trump is “willing to exploit” the UK.

https://www.rt.com/uk/406216-obama-m...-relationship/

So, this is of course not news to though of us who know of the real balance of power between the US and the UK but is anyone surprised that a POTUS would so openly mock the UK whilst in Office?

Also isn't the pusillanimity of the British in regards to such things a sign of real decrepitude?

Discuss?
    No, really?

Did we need someone to tell us that? Every country has a myth about how it is bestest buddies with the global superpower. The British bang on about the special relationship, something almost all Americans have never heard of. The French tell themselves that they are 'America's oldest ally', the Israelis say that they are the US's closest ally.

Even we imagine that we are somehow special because the Taoiseach is allowed to stand in a corridor that POTUS takes 15 seconds to walk down, once a year. It's all hogwash. There are no friends, only interests.
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

Politics.ie Member Degeneration X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    Suez showed what a lie it was.
    Yeah though it was there even before that I remember reading once about some time in the early 50's when Churchill went over to visit Truman this was after the famous "Iron Curtain" speech - Truman stopped Churchill from speaking to the press at the airport upon arrival because he didn't want WSC to say anything controversial that might have gotten him into "hot water".

This always summed up the one way nature of the "special relationship" to me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brits also don't seem to realise that they really annoy Americans when they make "jokes" about it being a former colony.

I was at a business meeting where an English guy said they "should just apologise and ask the queen to take them back" in reference to Trump's election.

The US people just looked at him. Then one of them said: "and this is why we love the English. Such humble people!"

Attitudes like that don't win friends, that's for sure and I think the UK is grossly overestimating how much soft power it actually has. A lot of ex colonies absolutely hate them and they keep going on and on about the empire, as if it was a lovely golf club.

The same sneery, xenophobic attitudes in media outlets and comedy talking about their lovely neighbours with terms like frogs, krauts and paddies doesn't really win them any European friends either.
    I mean watch the difference in customer service in France when they realise you're Irish rather than English!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No surprise, it was obvious.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast