Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage an attack on children - IONA

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gay Marriage an attack on children - IONA

A new organisation launches today called Marriage Equality, campaigning for the law to be changed to allow for civil marriage for gay couples.

The Iona Institute, responding to the launch today, have called Gay Marriage an "attack on the right of a child to have a mother and father".

Quote Originally Posted by Iona Institute's David Quinn
    Recognising same-sex marriage would be an attack on the right of children to a mother and father. Marriage is a social institution directed primarily, though not exclusively, towards the welfare of children. Through social, financial and legal supports it seeks to ensure that as many children as possible are raised by their mothers and fathers. For this reason it is intrinsically heterosexual. It recognises the reality that all children have a biological mother and father, have a right to a mother and father and need a mother and father.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A stunningly backward development.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disagree with IONA. I agree that children should have a mother and father in their lives though, but I feel that this news is nonetheless a reminder that a radical minority in the gay community, by insisting on the extension of straight-marriage rights and benefits related to parenting, are inadvertently providing the Religious Right with 'ammunition' against gay partnership rights including marriage. Most of my gay friends share my view that rearing children is for mothers and fathers. I support a form of gay partnership/marriage without involving child-rearing benefits/rights in it. Children need a mother and a father. Having 2 fathers would only lead to the children being mercilessly teased by other children. As a gay person myself I cannot be accused of homophobia in this regard. I resent how a few ultras in the gay community alienate the straight community by making unrealistic demands.

Recognising same-sex marriage would be an attack on the right of children to a mother and father
    What a load of backwards tripe, from this insufferable sh*t.

Does Herr Quinn believe that the existence of single motherhood (or fatherhood) constitutes a similar attack? Should the State confiscate all of these children and place them in the care of married couples? (straight ones, naturally)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Fracture
    Recognising same-sex marriage would be an attack on the right of children to a mother and father
    What a load of backwards tripe, from this insufferable sh*t.

Does Herr Quinn believe that the existence of single motherhood (or fatherhood) constitutes a similar attack? Should the State confiscate all of these children and place them in the care of married couples? (straight ones, naturally)
    I wouldn't put such a measure past them.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it is an absolute right, who then should the children of single parents sue because their rights havebeen violated?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

This statement is almost as shocking as the letters to the Times from another IONA caveman, who effectively said that all homosexual relationships are based on sex and sex alone (ie. love, commitment etc. are alien concepts to all those awful queers)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Gay Marriage an attack on children - IONA

[quote=David Cochrane]A new organisation launches today called Marriage Equality, campaigning for the law to be changed to allow for civil marriage for gay couples.

The Iona Institute, responding to the launch today, have called Gay Marriage an "attack on the right of a child to have a mother and father".

Quote Originally Posted by "Iona Institute's David Quinn":nudzahbb
    Recognising same-sex marriage would be an attack on the right of children to a mother and father. Marriage is a social institution directed primarily, though not exclusively, towards the welfare of children. Through social, financial and legal supports it seeks to ensure that as many children as possible are raised by their mothers and fathers. For this reason it is intrinsically heterosexual. It recognises the reality that all children have a biological mother and father, have a right to a mother and father and need a mother and father.
    [/quote:nudzahbb]

Talk about circular reasoning - "children have a right to a father and mother, therefore marriage is heterosexual, therefore it's not for gay people, because they're not heterosexual". At what point does one demonstrate that children have a right to "a mother and a father", and what impact would it have on our father-unfriendly divorce settlements? Does that mean that if my wife died the state would give me money to replace her, or does it only apply to natural mothers? If so, do orphans lack such rights?

Conservative reflexology.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More ************************************g nonsense from Quinn. I was at the MarriagEquality launch this morning, and it was excellent, with the Oak Room of the Mansion House absolutely packed, with a good 50 people crammed into standing room at the back.

There's one very interesting counter-argument to this constant focussing on children that I've heard a few times recently. If gay people should not be allowed to marry because that could lead to a situation where children are being brought up by same-sex parents, what do the religious right propose to do about the numerous cases around the state where this is already the case? For example, Orla Howard, her partner and their children were interviewed for the Trib yesterday, and the children in particular spoke eloquently about their love for both parents.
    The Beautiful Room - http://neilward.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are the IONA institute going to come out against God for the existence of death which is surely an attack on the right of a child to have a mother and father?

And to the best of my knowledge we've not gotten to the stage of being able to create children without a male and female input to the process so all children have a mother and father at some point.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast