Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael - Do as I say, not as I do

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael - Do as I say, not as I do

Sen. Jim Higgins MEP speaking at the Michael Collins Commemoration Ceremony at Beal na Blath today claimed a Government led by Michael Collins would not have “stood idly by in the full knowledge that the civil rights of the minority in the north were being trampled upon.”

He went on to claim “had the Irish government in the south, as Collins would have done, faced up to its responsibility to defend our beleaguered brethren in the north, we would not have had the sieges of the catholic enclaves, we would not have had bloody Sunday in Derry.

I wonder has Sen. Higgins forgotten it was the leader of his party who facilitated various British agencies in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?

Fine Gael’s claim to Michael Collins legacy is nothing more than skin-deep and a slur on his name.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers
    in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?
    How did the Irish Government try to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic community?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage
    in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?
    How did the Irish Government try to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic community?
    The only thing that springs to mind about May 1970 was the Arms Trial. Is that what you are on about TK?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government set up a £100,000 fund to alleviate the suffering of Catholic community.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government set up a £100,000 fund to alleviate the suffering of Catholic community.
    Okay, and what did Liam Cosgrave do?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    Okay, and what did Liam Cosgrave do?
    He left the British secret service men involved in the Dublin/Monagahan bombings disappear back across the border after they had carried out their work, and he stood by while evidence of the bombed cars were destroyed before forensics could be done on them, to remove any trace of British military involvement. All on behalf of the Cruiser to save Labours skin from an emerging IRSP.

Its also a joke that Jim Higgins is talking about what a FG under Collins would have done regarding the 6 counties, while their current leader is doing nothing for the people in Antrim, except snipe about the IRA.

The IRA are gone now Enda, and the Catholics are still being killed. And not a peep.

Jeez I like a lot of FG people, but this ************************ing hypocrisy sickens me
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rock, I know you don't like to leave historical fact get in the way of your prejudices and convictions but TK refered to Cosgrave facilitating '"various British agencies" in the May 1970. The Dublin-Monaghan bombings occured four years later, so are hardly relevant to TK's point.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rock, I know you don't like to leave historical fact get in the way of your prejudices and convictions but TK refered to Cosgrave facilitating '"various British agencies" in the May 1970. The Dublin-Monaghan bombings occured four years later, so are hardly relevant to TK's point.
    Ah jaysus sorry JJ.

So that makes what Cosgrave did in '74 all right so ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Ah jaysus sorry JJ.

So that makes what Cosgrave did in '74 all right so ?
    Rock, May 1974 is entirely irrelevant to a discussion of May 1970. I am interested in what TK is going on about, because it escapes me entirely what type of facilitating Cosgrave was up to. But, hey don't leave entire irrelevancy get in the way of trying to score political points off Fine Gael.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Fine Gael - Do as I say, not as I do

I wonder has Sen. Higgins forgotten it was the leader of his party who facilitated various British agencies in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?
    What a load of Bolllocks.
    Do you even know what you're talking about?! Or is it another pathetic TK-brand attempt to smear Fine Gael?!

(NB: A more appropriate title for this thread would be: Higgins speech decimates Rainbow pact - Fine Gael finished)
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast