Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia Says 'Sorry'

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Australia Says 'Sorry'

Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today apologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

Although much has still to be done, Australia has started its process of reconcilliation and begun a new chapter in its history.

Irish people played a central role in the formation of Australia and today is an important day for all indigenous people throughout the world.

Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain apologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Australia Says 'Sorry'

Quote Originally Posted by RG Cuan
    Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today appologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

Although much has still to be done, Australia has started its process of reconcilliation and begun a new chapter in its history.

Irish people played a central role in the formation of Australia and today is an important day for all indigenous people throughout the world.

Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain appologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?
    And the Gaelic Irish should apologise to the indigenous people they abused and oppressed.......

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certainly, if there are people out there who are seeking an apology about something Irish people or the Irish Government have done, then they should be heard.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bertie Ahern should apologise for taking us as fools.

The Sunday Indo should apologise for pretending to be a Newspaper.

Trade Union leaders should apologise to the workers of Ireland for taking money under false pretences.

Gimpanzee

Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, today appologised to the country's Indigenous people for decades of discrimination, in particular for the Stolen Generations.

Any chance now of the USA saying sorry to their own aboriginal communities, or Britain appologising to Gaelic and Welsh speakers for centuries of abuse?
    I'm sorry - but I wasn't aware that it was 20th century British government policy to forcibly remove children from their parents becaus the were welsh or Gaelic speakers? If this isn't the case would you have the decency to admit that you do the children of the stolen generation a massive disservice by equating them with the situation Welsh and Gaelic speakers found themselves in?

On the other hand, some children were removed from their mothers here by the church and state for being illegitimate....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hate this kind of stupid crap. People say this is about building bridges and healing rifts but it actually the opposite. Nothing is more polarizing than this. It is not for the leader of a country to apply blame to an entire nation. Its just ridiculous.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee
    I'm sorry - but I wasn't aware that it was 20th century British government policy to forcibly remove children from their parents becaus the were welsh or Gaelic speakers? If this isn't the case would you have the decency to admit that you do the children of the stolen generation a massive disservice by equating them with the situation Welsh and Gaelic speakers found themselves in?

On the other hand, some children were removed from their mothers here by the church and state for being illegitimate....
    I'm not equating Indigenous Australians with Gaelic or Welsh speakers, i'm simply highlighting the fact that other Governments also had official 'anti-native' policies.

You may or not be aware that Irish speakers here were physically punished, in school and by other officials, for speaking their native language right up until the 1910s.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AXL ROSE

Have you read or seen the reaction of the vast majority of Aboriginal people to today's statement? They've welcomed it, and white Australians are saying that a dark burden has been lifted from the national psyche.

Gimpanzee

I'm not equating Indigenous Australians with Gaelic or Welsh speakers, i'm simply highlighting the fact that other Governments also had official 'anti-native' policies.

You may or not be aware that Irish speakers here were physically punished, in school and by other officials, for speaking their native language right up until the 1910s.
    Read your post again. That's exactly what it looks like you were doing. You can always edit it to avoid any confusion....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see no disservice. Why does it have to be confined to the 20th century.

Is 1900 some kind of cut off point for responsibility for oppression.

You dont get off that easy.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast