Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahon Vigilantes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Mahon Vigilantes

A group started on Facebook last night with the above name designed to out local drug dealers in Mahon in Cork City.
    Since then it has had over 1700 people connect with the page which is calling for people to beat the dealers and heroin addicts of the local community.

Tonight, the Evening Echo is reporting that a number of suspected local dealers have been beaten by baseball bats and are in hospital as a direct consequence of this Facebook page.

I do not condone the violence but it says a lot about the response of the State to the growing drug problems in our inner cities, that communities feel it is up to them to defend themselves from the drug scourge.

Mahon vigilantes 'beating drug dealers with baseball bats'
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    A group started on Facebook last night with the above name designed to out local drug dealers in Mahon in Cork City.
    Since then it has had over 1700 people connect with the page which is calling for people to beat the dealers and heroin addicts of the local community.

Tonight, the Evening Echo is reporting that a number of suspected local dealers have been beaten by baseball bats and are in hospital as a direct consequence of this Facebook page.

I do not condone the violence but it says a lot about the response of the State to the growing drug problems in our inner cities, that communities feel it is up to them to defend themselves from the drug scourge.

We have a state that has done nothing. Create a vacuum and something will fill it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't SF once excoriated by those who think of themselves as the "great and good" for doing just that?
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act". Orwell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't condone it but the public has lost confidence in the courts with their unduly lenient sentencing - particularly when 80% of crimes are committed on bail.
    Save the 27th.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the State doesn't offer people adequate protection than I believe that they have the right to take matters into their hands- however I'm not sure if that was the case in this situation at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gardai have more important stuff to do than catch drug dealers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I don't condone it but the public has lost confidence in the courts with their unduly lenient sentencing - particularly when 80% of crimes are committed on bail.
    Where did you get that figure ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember Fettercairn in Tallaght people had to camp out all night to get rid of the pushers.

The cops weren't happy that the sheeple weren't lying down and playing dead for the drug merchants.

Perhaps they felt they were showing the cops up.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act". Orwell.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My memory of Dublin in the 90s is that community campaigns were effective...were they?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Moi went along to a neighborhood watch thing once (meant to be few squid of the insurance if yer in the scheme) mainly auld dears etc. Anywho there was wan guy with the 'thousand yard stare' and he suggested leaving a horses head in the front garden of somewan who obviously had just pished him off, so the moral of the story is the horse was innocent...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast