Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127

Thread: Unionist violence

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Unionist violence

    With the IRA out of the picture as a military force and given political unionism's tolerance of sectarian attacks, is it inevitable that unionist violence will escalate especially against isolated catholic communities such as North Antrim?
    Sovereignty is Democracy

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin NSide and Belfast 15
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I think there is already a thread on this, following Sinn Fein's release of a document entitled Unionist violence in Antrim and Derry yesterday.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UCC
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Unionist violence

    Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise
    With the IRA out of the picture as a military force and given political unionism's tolerance of sectarian attacks, is it inevitable that unionist violence will escalate especially against isolated catholic communities such as North Antrim?
    Has it escalated since the GFA?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Unionist violence

    Quote Originally Posted by idefix
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise
    With the IRA out of the picture as a military force and given political unionism's tolerance of sectarian attacks, is it inevitable that unionist violence will escalate especially against isolated catholic communities such as North Antrim?
    Has it escalated since the GFA?
    did it stop?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    I think there is already a thread on this, following Sinn Fein's release of a document entitled Unionist violence in Antrim and Derry yesterday.
    yes but specifically the question here is does the IRA statement make unionist violence more or less likely?
    Sovereignty is Democracy

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UCC
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Unionist violence

    Quote Originally Posted by ON THE ONE ROAD
    did it stop?
    Did you read the thread about Enda not commenting on the North?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Unionist violence

    Quote Originally Posted by idefix
    Quote Originally Posted by ON THE ONE ROAD
    did it stop?
    Did you read the thread about Enda not commenting on the North?

    this is what happens when you ask retorical question, jeasus.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UCC
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Unionist violence

    Quote Originally Posted by ON THE ONE ROAD
    this is what happens when you ask retorical question, jeasus.
    This is what happens when you don't explain what your point is (assuming its relevant to the question being asked).

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin NSide and Belfast 15
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    I think there is already a thread on this, following Sinn Fein's release of a document entitled Unionist violence in Antrim and Derry yesterday.
    yes but specifically the question here is does the IRA statement make unionist violence more or less likely?
    I know the Shinners used it, but I'm not happy with the term 'Unionist violence'. Much of what is referred to is violence conducted by those well-known drug-dealers and general gangsters the UVF and the LVF, with their antecedents the UDA largely watching on laughing.
    These scum, who rejoice in linking themselves to Loyalist political aims, will continue their antisocial behaviour no matter what, as their activities have everything to do with racketeering and intimidation, and virtually nothing to do with politics.
    But as Dan the man says in the Direland, they did used ot claim that they only existed in response to the IRA...
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    I know the Shinners used it, but I'm not happy with the term 'Unionist violence'.
    It seems to be a new tactic devised by the leadership to try to link the UUP and DUP's lack of action on this front to SF's unwavering support for the now stood-down IRA.
    "If there is a future, it will be Green." - Petra Kelly.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •