Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Order gets Republic funds

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Orange Order gets Republic funds

A company set up by the Orange Order is receiving almost 250,000 euros in funding from the Irish government.

The Republic's first substantial grant to the organisation is being made by the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 228291.stm

Personally I welcome this announcement. It is a further sign of the increasing normality and maturity taking place on this island. I have no doubt that there will be many here who will denounce it as funding for a sectarian, fascist etc., etc., organisation, but perhaps those real fascists are those who castigate a tradition and community of which they know very little. If people want to achieve a united Ireland it is small steps and gestures such as these that will lead toward it faster than any incidence of violence or bigotry. (Cue the OO are a bunch of bigots comments)

What says the contributors to P.ie? Opinions please....
    "The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities is an ancient evil remarked by the philosophers and moralists of all ages." ~ Adam Smith

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We all friends with the OO again? All one big happy family? While I'm disappointed no one responded, in a way I am relieved that there hasn't been on onslaught of vitriolic abuse aimed towards the OO through this thread.
    "The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities is an ancient evil remarked by the philosophers and moralists of all ages." ~ Adam Smith

Gimpanzee

Default Re: Orange Order gets Republic funds

Quote Originally Posted by traynod
    I think you've more or less said it all. Good move - and a smart move too from our perspective.

But no doubt St333v3 will be along shortly with an informative video and a few more of his apparently bottomless stash of rolly-eyes to denounce this.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this mean that there might be a prospect of a grant for The Pastafarians?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pauriceenjack
    Does this mean that there might be a prospect of a grant for The Pastafarians?
    Wonderful contribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(Cue the OO are a bunch of bigots comments)
    The OO are a bunch of bigots.
    I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to worship me.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Combine
    Very often people who unequivocally call all OO members bigots are actually bigots themselves. I'm not defending the OO and have no doubt that there are issues with bigotry in its ranks, but that does not imply all OO members are bigots. Besides I don't want this thread to get into a back-forth bigot, not bigot yelling match. I'm more interested in how people feel this will affect cross community relations. Is it one small step for the Ireland of today, one giant leap for the Ireland of tomorrow?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee
    I think you've more or less said it all. Good move - and a smart move too from our perspective.

But no doubt St333v3 will be along shortly with an informative video and a few more of his apparently bottomless stash of rolly-eyes to denounce this.

Hey, Chimp, I know I shouldn't ask this, but why is it a "smart" move? - and what is "our" perspective?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Combine
    Very often people who unequivocally call all OO members bigots are actually bigots themselves. I'm not defending the OO and have no doubt that there are issues with bigotry in its ranks, but that does not imply all OO members are bigots. Besides I don't want this thread to get into a back-forth bigot, not bigot yelling match. I'm more interested in how people feel this will affect cross community relations. Is it one small step for the Ireland of today, one giant leap for the Ireland of tomorrow?

Am I right that this is an anti-Catholic group? I don't see how it aids the "community".

And does this mean the Irish Government is now taking a stance on religion? - will the Catholic church be banned?

I think this is a smart move. It shows Unionists that Nationalists are prepared to accept their culture. It also provides a nice contrast to The NI Assembley's position on the Irish language.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast