Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sea Ice - arctic melting, antarctic same as 1900, headlines focus on the melt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Sea Ice - arctic melting, antarctic same as 1900, headlines focus on the melt

The end of the world will be the floods when all the ice melts, right?

East of Dublin 8 will be like Venice, or worse. Trouble is, the headlines go to the melt area

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-global-level

but not the Antartic, which is much bigger. The Arctic has very little land underneath so it won't stay white as easily as a cold spot with lots of land underneath - like Antarctica.

Antarctic sea ice had barely changed from where it was 100 years ago, scientists have discovered, after poring over the logbooks of great polar explorers such as Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton.
    Experts were concerned that ice at the South Pole had declined significantly since the 1950s, which they feared was driven by man-made climate change.
    But new analysis suggests that conditions are now virtually identical to when the Terra Nova and Endurance sailed to the continent in the early 1900s, indicating that declines are part of a natural cycle and not the result of global warming.

Scott and Shackleton logbooks prove Antarctic sea ice is not shrinking 100 years after expeditions

This is the problem, we don't have enough data yet to say what is a "natural cycle" and what is recent, man-made and irreversible. Obviously it's often a bit of both. I'm not a climate denier but I'd like percentages.

If we're paying 1,000s a year each to support the EPA, and the EPA says we are emitting less CO2 than in 1990, then I don't see why we as an island / state / group of hominids should have to bust a gut to do even more. Unless it is all to sell new taxes, grants and jobs for the boys?
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

zoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    The end of the world will be the floods when all the ice melts, right?

East of Dublin 8 will be like Venice, or worse. Trouble is, the headlines go to the melt area

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-global-level

but not the Antartic, which is much bigger. The Arctic has very little land underneath so it won't stay white as easily as a cold spot with lots of land underneath - like Antarctica.

Antarctic sea ice had barely changed from where it was 100 years ago, scientists have discovered, after poring over the logbooks of great polar explorers such as Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton.
    Experts were concerned that ice at the South Pole had declined significantly since the 1950s, which they feared was driven by man-made climate change.
    But new analysis suggests that conditions are now virtually identical to when the Terra Nova and Endurance sailed to the continent in the early 1900s, indicating that declines are part of a natural cycle and not the result of global warming.

Scott and Shackleton logbooks prove Antarctic sea ice is not shrinking 100 years after expeditions

This is the problem, we don't have enough data yet to say what is a "natural cycle" and what is recent, man-made and irreversible. Obviously it's often a bit of both. I'm not a climate denier but I'd like percentages.

If we're paying 1,000s a year each to support the EPA, and the EPA says we are emitting less CO2 than in 1990, then I don't see why we as an island / state / group of hominids should have to bust a gut to do even more. Unless it is all to sell new taxes, grants and jobs for the boys?
    Arctic temperatures 20c higher than usual and you think there isn't a problem? Nuuuuuuuuurse!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You fkn fascist climatechageophobe.

You make Himmler seem like a nice man.

How can you live with your self?

(On more serious note, the notion that 150 years of fossil fuel use heralds the imminent doom of planet earth is bullsh1t.)

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    You fkn fascist climatechageophobe.

You make Himmler seem like a nice man.

How can you live with your self?

(On more serious note, the notion that 150 years of fossil fuel use heralds the imminent doom of planet earth is bullsh1t.)
    Yeah... but no-one is claiming that... not anymore... nor have they been for a long time...

There's undoubtedly natural climate change occurring as it has been since there's been a climate...

The point is mankind's exploitation and relentless use of fossil fuels is exacerabating the natural effects and is making those effects more extreme.

Anyone who's been alive for over 40 years and who pays attention to the weather knows this.

You don't have to believe that if you don't want to... but you're a minority and if there's alternatives that are potentially less damaging (and there are for many things)... then why persist with the fossil fuel bullsh!t?

It's only in the interests of oil and gas company execs and various cronies and vested interests.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Arctic temperatures 20c higher than usual and you think there isn't a problem? Nuuuuuuuuurse!

I wish it was 20c higher where I am right now petunia
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    The point is mankind's exploitation and relentless use of fossil fuels is exacerabating the natural effects and is making those effects more extreme.

Anyone who's been alive for over 40 years and who pays attention to the weather knows this.

You don't have to believe that if you don't want to... but you're a minority and if there's alternatives that are potentially less damaging (and there are for many things)... then why persist with the fossil fuel bullsh!t?...

No, I have solar panels, and know there's some human effect on climate, but it's not clear where it begins and ends. If it's 5% more than the natural climate change then so what. If it's 50%, yow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    And Sweden had the most snow in Nov in decades, the weather is going to be unusual somewhere every year
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My nine year old came home borderline distraught that our house will flood after a "lesson" on climate change, which her teacher made her believe is down to human factors.

I'm ashamed, as a scientist, that kids are being taught that reducing the human impact on climate will make everything right again, magically.

The earth undergoes periodic climate swings and any emission reductions, reduced carbon etc that we do will, if entirely successful, serve only to delay the inevitable.
    14% of everyone who has ever lived are alive today

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast