Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are irish people in Britain irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are irish people in Britain irish

I noticed in the news yesterday the story about the riot in Brixton prison, the report says over 100 people fought hand to hand and it was a battle between IRISH and Muslim gangs over drug deals,
    Are these IRISH inmates Irish born or the so called london irish, why are we classed as Irish when we commit crime but are English when we are people like 3 of the Beatles, The Gallaghers of Oasis, Dusty Springfield,boy george, J rotten, and many more in other fields like sport and the arts,

the wording as well is wrong, Irish and muslim gangs, why not Christian and Muslim gangs, and lastly, the fight was over drug deals,, I though they were in a PRISON..
    ===========================
    A woman prison governor suffered a broken wrist after falling down a staircase during a riot in which more than 100 inmates fought with chair legs, pool cues and snooker balls stuffed into socks.

Sonia Brooks fell when she tried to help break up a violent brawl between rival Irish and Muslim gangs at Brixton Prison in South London.

Two of her male colleagues were knocked unconscious and one warder suffered a fractured cheekbone as inmates went on the rampage.

Twelve staff were treated in hospital and one had to take a week off after suffering severe concussion. It took 60 prison officers more than an hour to bring the situation under control.

Ms Brooks, a junior governor, had recently been transferred from Feltham Young Offenders' Institution in Middlesex.

The Ministry of Justice played down the extent of the trouble, claiming it was a "minor disturbance" with only 25 prisoners involved in the fighting.

But the Prison Officers' Association (POA) accused the Government of a "cover-up" and demanded a public inquiry from Justice Secretary Jack Straw to establish why the Prison Service failed to order a "Gold Command Suite" ? a top-level meeting of civil servants who direct responses to major jail unrest.

Insiders at Brixton said the riot had been brewing for 'some time' but managers had ignored repeated warnings from staff.

The inmates were packed two to a cell and a series of botched drug deals between the Muslim and Irish gangs are said to have stretched tensions to breaking point.

On January 10, tempers boiled over and a minor scuffle on A Wing escalated into a full-scale riot.

"It was hand-to-hand combat ? an absolute free-for-all," said a source. "Prisoners were fighting on three different landings armed with chair legs, pool cues and snooker balls wrapped in socks. One hundred and twenty prisoners were involved.
    Think Tall

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're not Irish they're "New English"

Gimpanzee

Default Re: Are irish people in Britain irish

Quote Originally Posted by pocleary
    Are these IRISH inmates Irish born or the so called london irish, why are we classed as Irish when we commit crime but are English when we are people like 3 of the Beatles, The Gallaghers of Oasis, Dusty Springfield,boy george, J rotten, and many more in other fields like sport and the arts,
    Depends on if they view themselves as Irish. Shane McGowan sees himself as Irish, Johnny Rotten doesn't.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pocleary
    I noticed in the news yesterday the story about the riot in Brixton prison, the report says over 100 people fought hand to hand and it was a battle between IRISH and Muslim gangs over drug deals,

the wording as well is wrong, Irish and muslim gangs, why not Christian and Muslim gangs, and lastly, the fight was over drug deals,, I though they were in a PRISON..
    ===========================
    That's interesting. It shouldn't be that hard to establish if they were British-born or not? Could they be from the North of Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee
    Depends on if they view themselves as Irish. Shane McGowan sees himself as Irish, Johnny Rotten doesn't.
    Exactly. If people choose to identify themselves as Irish then who are we to tell them that they are not. I'd be careful of seeking to define what is Irish in case I might be left out. After all my family on either side were Welsh and Spanish if you go back a few hundred years.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Exactly. If people choose to identify themselves as Irish then who are we to tell them that they are not. I'd be careful of seeking to define what is Irish in case I might be left out.
    Really? I thought all that conspicuous consumption and binge drinking would give us away every time in your view?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madura
    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Exactly. If people choose to identify themselves as Irish then who are we to tell them that they are not. I'd be careful of seeking to define what is Irish in case I might be left out.
    Really? I thought all that conspicuous consumption and binge drinking would give us away every time in your view?
    There's another thread on that. It deals with the issue of defining Irish culture. You might like to read the comments there.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it reflects the tendency of many Europeans to define themselves on the basis of ethnic-roots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The rioters probably belonged to gangs who were organised and led around being Irish/muslim eg "A-team" - Irish, "Muslim Boys" - muslim

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 35531.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... e18522.ece

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default irish

I suspect the 'Irish' may have been as Irish as the 'Muslims' were Muslim (drug deals?). On the broader question - the answer is in the question.

Were the drugs English? Were they 'mind control drugs'? - (we have a poster here who has some interesting views on....mindcontroldugs, and likes to repeat the phrase....mindcontroldrugs, until you want him to stop saying..mindcontroldrugs...)
    trubba not
    no trubba

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast