Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Abortion

Ireland is one of the few 1st world, industrialized, western nations where abortion is illegal.
    Should it be?
    I've been thinking about this, and I used to always have a knee-jerk reaction of 'yes of course it should be legal - the government shouldn't tell women what they can do with their bodies.' However, I had the thought a while ago of, is abortion a facet of facism or communism, where the individual doesn't matter. Also, the argument of abortion shows how little society cares about the human life.
    I myself have yet to make up my mind, but what do you all think?
    Is abortion ok, and should it be legalized?
    Ireland is free for another day.

Abortion is legal, its just restricted. I think we need tuffer laws against it.

"Also, the argument of abortion shows how little society cares about the human life."

Spot on. Killing the defenceless, faceless, and the blameless
    "Are you telling me that a computer, a robot and my wife would create a "natuarlly balanced" society? The consequences are too monstrous to contemplate.."
    -farnaby.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However, I had the thought a while ago of, is abortion a facet of facism or communism, where the individual doesn't matter.
    Oh for God's sake, I won't dignify that deep gibberish with a response

Also, the argument of abortion shows how little society cares about the human life.
    No in fact it's quite the opposite. You were right with your first thoughts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, abortion should be allowed. It shouldn't be a prevalent, it shouldn't be run of the mill.
    But it should be attainable and accessible when necessary to women from this country in this country.
    I don't like the idea of abortion but I have no right to inflict my views on others when it comes to matter of their own body.
    But it's impossible to deny that it's already being chosen by Irish women, day in day out who are having to undergo undue stress, trauma and expense, but who do it anyway because they feel it is necessary. It's ridiculous to believe that just because we don't allow it in the state we are somehow taking the moral high ground when it's going on in huge numbers by hundreds or thousands of women every day.
    There is also the issue of women who, for whatever reason, cannot leave the state or who cannot afford to do it who are left with little choice but to pick less safe options because likewise they cannot afford to have a baby or another baby. It's an awful situation to be in and again, by this blind belief that we're maintaining some moral superiority by such strict limits on abortion in this country we are causing untold pain, suffering and hardship on these women both mentally and or physically.
    Further to that, continuing to foster this ilicit image of abortion continues the trauma and suffering of those who have undergone an abortion outside the state.
    As I've said, it shouldn't be an easy choice and it shouldn't be the first option but when it is deemed necessary by a woman, for whatever reason, she should have the help and support she needs failure to do otherwise is an insult.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should remain illegal. There's no doubt in my mind that there are thousands of happy, well looked after children alive in Ireland today because of the lack of availability of abortion on demand here. If it remaining illegal saves the life of only one person then having it illegal is the correct position.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a very touchy subject, feminazis reckon that women should have the right to do as they wish with their body, I think any women who has an abortion because a child would be "inconvenient" should be sterilized to ensure that they are never inconvienced again.
    "The Council of Ministers will have far more power over the budgets of the member states than the federal government in the United States has over the budget of Texas"
    Jean-Claude Trichet.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. Sterilisation should be part of the procedure when it's being done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Champa
    Its a very touchy subject, feminazis reckon that women should have the right to do as they wish with their body, I think any women who has an abortion because a child would be "inconvenient" should be sterilized to ensure that they are never inconvienced again.
    and you have the neck to talk about "feminazis" !!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP
    I agree. Sterilisation should be part of the procedure when it's being done.
    I vehemently disagree with the mere suggestion of such an idea.
    Sadly this is often the outcome of abortion when carried out by unsafe, uncontrolled methods on desperate women who feel they have no other choice.
    Though from the sounds of thing you would delight at such an outcome.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Abortion

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnesslad
    Ireland is one of the few 1st world, industrialized, western nations where abortion is illegal.
    Should it be?
    I've been thinking about this, and I used to always have a knee-jerk reaction of 'yes of course it should be legal - the government shouldn't tell women what they can do with their bodies.' However, I had the thought a while ago of, is abortion a facet of facism or communism, where the individual doesn't matter. Also, the argument of abortion shows how little society cares about the human life.
    I myself have yet to make up my mind, but what do you all think?
    Is abortion ok, and should it be legalized?
    The people VOTED on the issue and thats democracy, unlike in the North of Ireland a supposed part of the UK where abortion is legal yet people up there are not allowed abortions so travel to london and other english cities for abortions and because they are regarded as irish the figures for irish women going to the Uk for abortions is bloated.
    though personally I think its a womans issue and women should decide. its a medical procedure on a womans body after all.
    Think Tall

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast