Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manner in which referenda are held and fixed term Parliament?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Manner in which referenda are held and fixed term Parliament?

Truly puzzling where this is coming from or really dark FG forces at play? An upcoming Citizens’ Assembly will tackle a couple of "issues" under the Chairwomanship of Justice Mary Laffoy.

Supreme Court judge to chair assembly on repealing Eighth Amendment

The Eighth Amendment of the Constitution;
    How we best respond to the challenges and opportunities of an ageing population;
    Fixed-term parliaments;
    The manner in which referendums are held;
    How the State can make Ireland a leader in tackling climate change.

The Brits have fixed Parliament therefore we should? Nah. As for referenda, a hidden attack to yet again rid the State of that pesky McKenna Judgement?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The assembly will comprise the chairperson and 99 citizens randomly selected on the basis of being representative of the Irish electorate in terms of gender, age and regional spread.

Pity there wasn't a JR over the "constitutional convention".
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/politic...onvention.html
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would not put any faith in the impartiality of this assembly

It will 100% certain recommend a Referendum on the 8th

This is just a exercise in manipulation

IMO a wholesale Repeal of the 8th has very little chance of being passed

The devil is in the detail I suppose

- but there will be no angels blowing trumpets for this to pass....
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get rid of the whole thing and re-instate the one party state we had during the celtic tiger era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see how a fixed term parliament would work under our system. It does seem to be nothing more than typical copy cat thinking.

What we will get out of this assembly is a referendum on the 8th, and another, on some trivial issue that will attempt to give cover to the fact that the assembly was all about the 8th in the first place.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Manner in which referenda are held

it was strange thing for the Department Minister for Environment Community and Local Government Alan Kelly at the time to propose a referenfum on the age of the president https://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.as.../document1.htm and then have no real push from anyone in the government parties to argue for it (or against it).
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 28th July 2016 at 10:41 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    Manner in which referenda are held

it was strange thing for the Department Minister for Environment Community and Local Government Alan Kelly at the time to propose a referenfum on the age of the president https://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.as.../document1.htm and then have no real push from anyone in the government parties to argue for it (or against it).
    The Irish media pretty well ignored that referendum and concentrated on getting the other one passed.

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    The Irish media pretty well ignored that referendum and concentrated on getting the other one passed.
    so the media didn't propose it the gov did
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 23rd February 2018 at 10:22 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    so the media didn't prpose it the gov did
    The government also proposed the abolition of the Seanad but the media conducted a campaign to maintain the Seanad as a bolt hole for their cronies.

Younger people who would have been made eligible to stand for president did not vote for that referendum as it was not supported by media.

Media pretty well decide.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fixed term parliaments are just another step along the way to a dictatorship.

We have been hearing from the ignorant and unread long enough about a government being elected to rule rather than govern and now they are trying to cement that affront to liberty and democracy into law! The blueshirts really have no idea about a fair and just society governed by the people for the people, until, that is, their dream state bites them on the ass and they can't do anything about it, then you'll hear the howls of anguish! Just imagine their faces if SF got five unshiftable years in office!
    Last edited by Mad as Fish; 29th July 2016 at 09:52 PM.
    Once your ability to function within society depends on a government controlled ID card then you are no longer a free citizen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast