Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495969798 LastLast

Thread: Paradoxically, high nursing pay causing shortages of nurses

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I do believe that this may very well provoke a back lash from the hard pressed Electorate Patslatt 1, the public can now see that "it was all about the money" and nothing else.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peader odonnell View Post
    Yes I do believe that this may very well provoke a back lash from the hard pressed Electorate Patslatt 1, the public can now see that "it was all about the money" and nothing else.
    Most voters supported the nurses blissfully unaware of the likely consequences.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    The sight of the vastly overpaid public sector going for more pigs at the trough pay increases might invite a backlash from the Irish public who seem prepared to put up with anything.
    Why would the majority of Nurses vote for a deal that caps their wages at 45,800 ? Sure haven't you been telling us for months the average wage is 55,000 ?
    Text Cancer to 50300 to Donate 4.00
    75 cent to telecoms company and 125,000 to Averil Power (Ex FF)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teens I asked occasionally about teachers usually say there are one or two poor performing teachers in their classes. That is not to disparage the the other teachers.

THe health spending at 12% of the economy is one of the highest spends in the EU for lousy results eg long waiting lists for relatively simple cataract operations to prevemt blindness. Fifty years ago, there wasn't much hitech medicine, so hospitals were reasonably funded.
    50 years ago hospitals had an in-house supply of slave labourers i.e. student nurses, 2 to 3 intakes per year, tied to the hospital for 4 years and doing the donkey work of cleaning, housekeeping and nursing.

The Health service never accepted that student nurses had become ‘supernumerary’ with the move to colleges and never adequately replaced the on floor nursing staff to pre degree levels.

The trolley crisis and huge waiting lists show that our health service can cope with emergency cases OR elective cases but not both... there are simply not enough beds for a growing population.

And soon we will be lacking GPs too thus dessimating the one part of the system that’s been working despite the ods against it - receiving just 4% of the budget despite treating 100% of the sick.
    Who refers the sick to hospital?
    Where do the hospital patients return to for after hospital care? - their GP.

Our health service has gone from a place of caring and learning to firefighting on a daily basis.

Is it too much to hope that the nurses strike - where nurses and patients were overwhelmingly of one voice, has given those in charge of running the system some pause for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdebru View Post
    Why would the majority of Nurses vote for a deal that caps their wages at 45,800 ? Sure haven't you been telling us for months the average wage is 55,000 ?
    That poster that you mentioned have been telling pokies without FACT for long while as his leopard spots haven't changed one bit since.

Perhaps he needs to watch a movie called ' one flew over the cuckoo nest'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politicians have run out of money for greedy pay increases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disabled student View Post
    That poster that you mentioned have been telling pokies without FACT for long while as his leopard spots haven't changed one bit since.

Perhaps he needs to watch a movie called ' one flew over the cuckoo nest'.
    "The average pay of a nurse when allowances and premium payments are included is between €57,000 and €58,000 a year.

Nurses’ pay, Brexit and economic wobbles: here comes politics 2019

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    "The average pay of a nurse when allowances and premium payments are included is between €57,000 and €58,000 a year.

Nurses’ pay, Brexit and economic wobbles: here comes politics 2019
    Could you live on €58k gross a year?
    I know I couldn't.

This country rips people off at every opportunity, from the 23% VAT rate, to the outrageous taxes on fuel, to the miserable €36k allowed before hitting the higher tax rate.

The cost of living is driving wage inflation, rents are now 40% higher than they were during the FFailures tiger years...driven there by the blueshirts failure in housing and their scams like HAP etc etc...
    Don't believe in riches, but you should see where I live......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cdebru View Post
    You're forgetting the exchange rate. 45k in Pat Euros = 70k in real money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    And not for the first time we have an idiot posting on this thread.
    Anti worker! Ur a walking cliche spouter. You lot couldnt give a toss about " workers" in the private sector.

Only reason you " support the nurses" is to get a payrise 4 urself.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post
    Most voters supported the nurses blissfully unaware of the likely consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Ted Crilly View Post
    Could you live on €58k gross a year?
    I know I couldn't.
    Some of us have to live on a fifth of that.