Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fred Thompson has withdrawn from the Republican race

Default Fred Thompson has withdrawn from the Republican race

Good news for Law & Order fans and even better news for America !

http://www.fred08.com/NewsRoom/PressRel ... bc20154324

Surprised he didn't make it to super tuesday. Still...no loss.

That will benefit Huckabee alot, and could put him in the lead in a number of states - considering he is now the only candidate from the conservative wing of the party. McCain, Romney and Guliani could cannibalise each others vote allowing Huckabee to pull in front.
    LICENTIA LOQUENDI

Politics.ie Newbie certain_people's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope.

McCain just won Florida. And the nomination.

Thompson and McCain draw from much same pool of voters. He even campaigned for McCain back in the 2000 primaries. True, Thompson is more socially conservative, but nowhere near Huckabee standard. His votes will go largely to McCain, and that will push him far enough away from Romney and Giuliani to take Florida.
    What part of NO don't EU understand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by certain_people
    Nope.

McCain just won Florida. And the nomination.

Thompson and McCain draw from much same pool of voters. He even campaigned for McCain back in the 2000 primaries. True, Thompson is more socially conservative, but nowhere near Huckabee standard. His votes will go largely to McCain, and that will push him far enough away from Romney and Giuliani to take Florida.
    There was talk a few weeks ago, of Thompson pulling out and endorsing McCain, now that clearly hasn't happened or at least not yet, but that would give McCain a big boost.

Huckabee has very little money and money is very important in Florida, so I think thatís going to hurt him a lot and after Huckabee, McCain is definitely the man who will benefit the most from Thompson pulling out.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im fierce tempted to go in again.
    McCain was 4/1 when I checked this morning.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This should give McCain a crucial boost. Thompson was always personally and politically close to McCain and not a fan of Huckabee.

Huckabee has damn all money. He was counting on big early wins to generate income and momentum. Neither has happened. So there is a real likelihood that he will run out of money not long after Super Tuesday. With Giuliani not on target to win Florida, his campaign is going down in flames. So with Thompson gone, Giuliani dying and Huckabee broke, it leaves the race between Romney and McCain, with McCain way ahead.

It is looking more and more like a McCain versus Clinton battle, which would be fascinating because apart from anything else, both are very close friends who have worked together, both are very intelligent, so you could have a very intelligent presidential campaign involving two people lightyears superior to Bush, two people who have the potential to be top class presidents. They are so personally close that both have said in the past that they would love to have the other in their cabinet.

I think in a battle between both, America and the world would be the winner.
    (Guys, when I type in capitals it isn't shouting. I have technical problems which makes using italics difficult. Please don't take offence if you see capitals used!)

I had a lot of time for Fred Thompson, espcecially his promotion of Federalism. I think his campaign was sabotaged by the establishment Conservative media who never gave him a break. His timing stunk as well. His strategy was based on coming in as a shining light to rescue the GOP. He came in to early though and allowed himself to be torn down. His mother is apparently sick and they say his wife was the main impetus behind his campaign so it's not really surprising that he has dropped out.

I really hope he goes back to Law and order.

EDIT: I just looked at the Realclearpolitics average and he has actually gone up! He was at 9% now he's at 10.2%!
    Liquidate labour, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deleted post

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The NY Times were downplaying the benefit this will have for McCain.
    That displeases me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast