Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Protestant group demands end to sale of rosary beads

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Protestant group demands end to sale of rosary beads

A Protestant group from Belfast is demanding an end to the sale of rosary beads at St Patrick's Church of Ireland in Dublin.

These eejits get worse!!

Full story here
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read this in the Times Letters.

Do some Anglicans not pray the Rosaray as in High Church?
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The real breaking news is that breaking news probably got that story from .... Joe Duffy's Liveline.

Wallace Thompson is involved in an organisation called, I think, the Evangelical Protestant Society. He wrote to Dean McCarthy who gave the same reasons on Liveline as he gave in his letter to Thompson - that the cathedral sells 70k worth (who would have thought?) of rosary beads each year. Their shop sells 200k in total each year which makes up in total 80% of their income - which they use to keep the cathedral in good nick.

Thompson's argument was that rosary beads are essentially in conflict with protestantism and while he had no problem with other items (such as jigsaws featuring images of Dublin) on sale in the shop, he felt it was inappropriate to sell items which are directly in conflict with the beliefs which should be espoused by the Cathedral.

The Dean pointed out that the majority of their visitors are not Anglican. He said he gets one or two letters of complaint each year, usually with NI addresses.

Then followed religious discussion.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kate P
    He said he gets one or two letters of complaint each year, usually with NI addresses.
    Now why doesn't that surprise me?
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wallace Thompson is also a member of the Independent Orange Lodge. He is barely representative of the Protestant community. It is at a stretch to refer to his organisation as a Protestant group, fundamentalist group would be far more appropriate as it does not have the allure of implicating normal Protestant Churches with this shower. His website also contains links to Ian Paisley's... somewhat unsurprisingly.

What I find so surprising, given Mr Thompson's letter, is that he was so ecumenical as to be in an Anglican Cathedral in the first place. Given Mr Paisley's denial of ecumenism with any mainstream church (Protestant Churches included) it would not be unsurprising if Mr Thompson holds similar views. I sense a publicity stunt on his behalf. It is unfortunate, though not unsurprising, that it comes in the week designated the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity where churches Catholic, Protestant and Dissenter alike across this island shall join for services together.

<Edit>I have subsequently discovered Mr Thompson is a special advisor to Nigel Dodds. Explains a bit<Edit>

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The real breaking news is that breaking news probably got that story from .... Joe Duffy's Liveline.

Wallace Thompson is involved in an organisation called, I think, the Evangelical Protestant Society. He wrote to Dean McCarthy who gave the same reasons on Liveline as he gave in his letter to Thompson - that the cathedral sells 70k worth (who would have thought?) of rosary beads each year. Their shop sells 200k in total each year which makes up in total 80% of their income - which they use to keep the cathedral in good nick.

Thompson's argument was that rosary beads are essentially in conflict with protestantism and while he had no problem with other items (such as jigsaws featuring images of Dublin) on sale in the shop, he felt it was inappropriate to sell items which are directly in conflict with the beliefs which should be espoused by the Cathedral.

The Dean pointed out that the majority of their visitors are not Anglican. He said he gets one or two letters of complaint each year, usually with NI addresses.

Evangelicalism and Anglicanism are worlds apart. This group is just trying to import its particular brand of intolerance and rigid dogma which it believes is the only path to salvation.

You'll find Anglicanism has more of a shared view point with Catholicism in many respects.

Dr Robert MacCarthy is better placed to decide what he sells in his church than a a bunch of puritanical muppets north of the border.
    'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.'

Inigo Montoya.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfemme22
    Evangelicalism and Anglicanism are world apart. This group is just trying to import its particular brand of intolerance and rigid dogma which it believes is the only path to salvation.

You'll find Anglicanism has more of a shared view point with Catholicism in many respects.
    Most of the mainstream Churches hold similar view points in many regards. There are excellent relations in most cases between the Catholic, Church of Ireland, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches in Ireland. These fundamentalist groups are not representative of the mainstream Churches, nor would they wish to be, they condemn most except themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leftfemme22

Evangelicalism and Anglicanism are world apart. This group is just trying to import its particular brand of intolerance and rigid dogma which it believes is the only path to salvation.

Dr Robert MacCarthy is better place to decide what he sells in his church than a a bunch of puritanical muppets north of the border.
    Apart from the first line of that post, the rest is taken from the radio - Anglican was the word used by the dean.

Just to clarify...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah religion. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    Ah religion. I'll miss it when it's gone.
    Ditto!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast