Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a Murderer -Steven Avery and

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Making a Murderer -Steven Avery and

.....and Brendan Dassey.

Ever since it debuted on Netflix on December 18th, Making A Murderer has been gathering more and more attention on a daily basis.

As petitions to re-open the trial come close to almost a quarter of a million signatures in the U.S. more and more stories are arriving in the public arena concerning this apparent miscarriage of Justice.

The gist of the story is that a man was considered guilty of a crime by the police, they needed a conviction and they bent the evidence to suit the outcome. Standard enough OP for police forces from there, here and throughout the world.

It is a fascinating show, in truth-well worth the watch.

I see on other threads various people have seen this and as well as being concerned about the issues involved are also impressed with the documentary maker's skills.

Today's update states that a juror found Avery guilty against their better judgement out of fear for their own physical safety.

http://www.today.com/video/-making-a...s-595996227518

Something is rotten in the state of Wisconsin?
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've watched the first 5 episodes and some of it is really outstanding in terms of a travesty of justice. The Brendan Dassy 'confession' stuff was really out of this world.

At this stage of viewing it is pretty clear to me that even if Steven did kill her that the cops then went out of their way to plant evidence to make the case more solid, or alternatively to me it looks as if Dassey's brother is just as likely to be the killer as he seen her and he says he was going out hunting and of course the victim was shot in the head. Either way the conviction is 'unsafe' and clearly tainted by the local police. And I'm only 5 episodes in!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why did they choose Avery and Dassey? Where they already known to police?
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Activist View Post
    Spoiler alert.............
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Activist View Post
    Avery had previously served 18 years for a rape that he was proven by DNA to be innocent of and always claimed that the local cops had set him up for because of a previous confrontation he had with the wife of a local cop. He was suing them for damages at the time of the murder and the former police chief and DA were going to be personally on the line for some of the damages and just before they were to give evidence the murder occured!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is incredibly tedious and boring.

I've lost attention numerous times; if I was on the jury I'd have missed tons of point.

Also the idea that the cops murdered cut up and burned a random woman to fit guy up so he doesn't win some cash, is pure daft.

Dreadful rubbish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Avery had previously served 18 years for a rape that he was proven by DNA to be innocent of and always claimed that the local cops had set him up for because of a previous confrontation he had with the wife of a local cop. He was suing them for damages at the time of the murder and the former police chief and DA were going to be personally on the line for some of the damages and just before they were to give evidence the murder occured!
    so the local police had a personal vendetta against the man. Does this suggest the police organised the killing or was it opportunistic?
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have not got Netflix so have not seen any of it , but there has been a lot in the various media about it in the last few weeks, I see the prosecution are saying the show itself is a fit up with the makers leaving out a lot of the irrefutable evidence that was against Avery , whatever it seems that the conduct of the police and prosecution leave a lot be desired in this case.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would like to watch documentaries about people who got away with murder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    Have not got Netflix so have not seen any of it ,
    Watch Making a Murderer (2015) Online Free - PrimeWire | 1Channel

cough, cough....

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast