Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungary

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hungary

In my opinion that country in Central-Europe is something of a role-model for small countries. I really admire the Hungarians for their ability to have been able to keep their own language. They are at the crossroads of the Slavic and Germanic nations and have been pressurised by both for centuries but yet they have maintained their own culture and language.

I really feel a great deal of admiration for that country as it belongs to the same Fenno-Ugric branch of nations and languages as my own one does. However, Hungarian is a sub-branch of its own. Finns and Estonians can understand each other to some degree but no-one can understand Hungarian except themselves. Many Hungarians say that theirs is the most isolated country and culture in Europe, a claim which I find a bit exaggerated given the location of the country in the heart of Europe.

However, the Hungarian language is something completely unrelated to any other language.The closest surviving relatives of the language are some almost extinct languages on the Siberian steppes. Hungary is really a country, a nation and a language of its own.

Well done for them to have had their language survived at that part of the continent. If you compare to other small nations, The Finns and the Estonians have been able to preserve their languages because of their remote location, the Celtic nations have lost their languages.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Economy is shite though!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This country has been on my mind the past fortnight. Their economic situation is worrying.

Overall growth is forecast to be a tiny 2% for 2007, with a small increase to 3% this year.

Inflation ran at a very high 7.8% throughout 2007, an economy growing at 2% should have a lower figure.

Its' unemployment rate of 7.3% is among the highest of the newer EU member-states.

They need to get their economic act together.
    Private profit for public gain!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    Economy is shite though!
    And I, shock horror, agree with you economic-wise for once. Read above(this post!)
    Private profit for public gain!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they will keep the language for a while but eventually european culture will homogenise

wait till we have a european army, then must come more european patriotism

the computer has made english prevelent, the east is using it too, all will follow as the world gets smaller

they will have to look to boston to prosper and forget about sentementality

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have ever heard the Finnish language spoken and if you have ever the Hungarian language spoken, as you understand neither of them you might be easily led to believe that they are the same language becease the rhythm of the speech and the intonation of the words is very very similar. You really don't speak English, German or Swedish with the same intonation as you speak Finnish and Hungarian. Many people have told me that at foreign airports they hear very familiar-sounding mumble being said and they think there are other Finns but when they get closer they realise they are Hungarians whose language has exactly the same intonation as Finnish but is otherwise completely incomprehensible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounds like a good reason to harmonise language

should we revert to the language spoken in ireland 1000 years ago?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes hungarians are to be admired.. lake balaton is wel worth a trip .. as for budapest - ok .. but not any different really to any capital

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Kalahan
    sounds like a good reason to harmonise language

should we revert to the language spoken in ireland 1000 years ago?
    When exactly do you think the language changeover took place?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by THR
    In my opinion that country in Central-Europe is something of a role-model for small countries. I really admire the Hungarians for their ability to have been able to keep their own language. They are at the crossroads of the Slavic and Germanic nations and have been pressurised by both for centuries but yet they have maintained their own culture and language.
    Things are not quite as rosy as you suggest... First, it was not a "small country" until 1918 when the Treaty of Trianon punished them very severely for being on the wrong side in WW1.

Compared with the former Kingdom of Hungary, the population of post-Trianon Hungary was reduced from 20.8 million to 7 million and its land area decreased by 72%. They lost 61% of arable land, 88% of timber, 62% of railroads, 64% of hard surface roads, 83% of pig iron output, 55% of industrial plants and 67% of credit and banking institutions of the former Kingdom of Hungary.

As a result, one quarter of the world's ethnic Hungarians live outside the borders of Hungary today and this is not emotionally accepted by most Hungarians. This longing for a the past glory of a "Greater Hungary" has led them into several unfortunate alliances and is the root cause of most of their problems since 1918.

Their nearly impossible language was forced upon non-Hungarian nationalities living in the Kingdom of Hungary by ruthless policies of Magyarization during the 19th century.

In spite of all the above, it is a wonderful country to visit and apart from a post imperial chip on the shoulder the people are fine and the wines are good.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast