Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Sindo and John Hume

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Sindo and John Hume

The most disgraceful incident above all in Irish journalism was the day that the Sindo decided to do a hatchet job on John Hume over the Hume-Adams talks.

The icing on the cake was a cartoon on the opinion page showing Hume holding his hands in the air, dripping with blood.

So, the Sindo decided it would try and scupper the peace process. Why did they try, and why did they fail?
    The theory of De-evolution is proven every day on the internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Sindo and John Hume

Quote Originally Posted by RBinge
    The most disgraceful incident above all in Irish journalism was the day that the Sindo decided to do a hatchet job on John Hume over the Hume-Adams talks.

The icing on the cake was a cartoon on the opinion page showing Hume holding his hands in the air, dripping with blood.

So, the Sindo decided it would try and scupper the peace process. Why did they try, and why did they fail?
    Why did they try ?
    Because its the sindo.
    Anto likes to think hes murdoch and tries to wield power by influencing opinions. He wants to have an equivilent of 'The Sun'. Going by the papers deteriorating content, it certainly appears as if he is going down this road.

If you are asking why the paper takes the opinion it takes ?
    I would guess there is a method to all this madness. Perhaps deals have been made to make various politicians look good or bad. There are many subtle ways to pay off a newspaper owner.

Why did they fail ?
    Because its the sindo.
    Whilst many people read the sindo, its 'quality' of journalism is well-known and hence is never taken seriously.

Don't rule out the planted story by Dept of Foreign Affairs designed to give plausible deniability to anything that happened and making it look like John Hume was a maverick who could be shunned for a couple of months in public while being supported in private.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Sunday independent appears to me, from the rare opportunities I get to read it, quite an anti-Catholic newspaper, easily the most anti-Catholic paper published in Ireland.

Yet after Mass on Sundays when people spill out of the church (yes, our attendance is good, thank you) and buy their papers, it's usually the Indo that they reach for.

And what's even odder, the priest himself buys it.
    Weird.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't it Dunphy who wrote the article?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From memory there was the usual series of pieces linked with the main article.

In any case, the newspaper of Eilis O'Hanlon, Brendan O'Connor, Eoghan Harris, "ME" Synon, Emer O'Kelly and Barry Egan is not one I care to read anymore, even in archive format.

The sneering, nastiness and vapidity of the most comfortably off in Irish society is something that I have happily done without since the incident referred to in my OP.
    The theory of De-evolution is proven every day on the internet

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with the above with the surprising exception of Emer O'Kelly,the theatre critic.Surprising in that she is the real deal;tough,knowledgeable,passionate,and not towing any party line.All this in a publication that is not only distrustful of the arts but also hostile to any concept of intrinsic value ie:knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kim chi
    The Sunday independent appears to me, from the rare opportunities I get to read it, quite an anti-Catholic newspaper, easily the most anti-Catholic paper published in Ireland.

Yet after Mass on Sundays when people spill out of the church (yes, our attendance is good, thank you) and buy their papers, it's usually the Indo that they reach for.

Weird.
    But what else is there out there to buy in Ireland on a Sunday?
    If you dont want to buy an England paper then the choice is fairly thin.
    The SINDO is truly awful stuff and is getting worse by the year. I remember the condemnation in the paper of Hume at the time. It showed that most of the journalists watched the British news and wrote accordingly. No original thought was required. That pretty much sums up the SINDO for me. The paper that condemns the Mail as a "Little Englander" paper is totally obsessed with all things English.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kim chi

Weird.
    But what else is there out there to buy in Ireland on a Sunday?
    If you dont want to buy an England paper then the choice is fairly thin.
    The SINDO is truly awful stuff and is getting worse by the year. I remember the condemnation in the paper of Hume at the time. It showed that most of the journalists watched the British news and wrote accordingly. No original thought was required. That pretty much sums up the SINDO for me. The paper that condemns the Mail as a "Little Englander" paper is totally obsessed with all things English.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Sindo and John Hume

Quote Originally Posted by RBinge

When roughly was that published? IIRC it was 1988, but which month?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast