Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 

View Poll Results: Should John Delaney Resign from the FAI?

Voters
194. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

    142 73.20%
  • No

    52 26.80%
Page 1 of 354 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 3538

Thread: Should Delaney resign?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Should Delaney resign?

    I know there is already a thread on the FIFA debacle but I thought this deserved its own thread. Of course it is ridiculous to assume that there was a legitimate case resulting from the infamous handball but at the same time, this loan that is now being discussed seems very dodgy.
    I would assume lots more similar stories will be uncovered in the weeks ahead. The papers have to talk about something in the summer months. Expect a drip feed.
    So, should Delaney have accepted this money? Why was it given? If it does constitute a bribe, is accepting it as bad as offering it?

    FIFA: '$5m loan' given to FAI to stop legal action - RTÉ Sport

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member ne0ica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    8,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No. Fair play to him. He exhorted €5 million out of FIFA.

    We should send him to Brussels to negotiate our debt write downs.
    'The wall will go up and Mexico will start behaving.'

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No, if this 5 million went to the FAI and was included the accounts and was put into the development of soccer and coaching in this country, it was a great deal.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Alan Alda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Very grubby carry on. Not a resigning matter though.
    Soccer in general is turning into a very grubby sport.
    I love all the different cheeses.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member NYCKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kingdom
    Posts
    12,867
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypockets View Post
    I know there is already a thread on the FIFA debacle but I thought this deserved its own thread. Of course it is ridiculous to assume that there was a legitimate case resulting from the infamous handball but at the same time, this loan that is now being discussed seems very dodgy.
    I would assume lots more similar stories will be uncovered in the weeks ahead. The papers have to talk about something in the summer months. Expect a drip feed.
    So, should Delaney have accepted this money? Why was it given? If it does constitute a bribe, is accepting it as bad as offering it?

    FIFA: '$5m loan' given to FAI to stop legal action - RTÉ Sport
    No, Delaney should not resign, well at least not for this, there may well be other reasons though.

    The FAI lost millions by not qualifying for the 2010 WC, now there is no guarantee that Ireland would have won a penalty shoot out either but the last thing FIFA needed at the time was a headache. It was obviously more lucrative for FIFA to have France there than Ireland, even though the French were dumped out after the group stages. A lawsuit could have created pressure for a replay that Ireland may not have won either so the 5 million was a good way to make the problem go away.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    No. Fair play to him. He exhorted €5 million out of FIFA.

    We should send him to Brussels to negotiate our debt write downs.
    It doesn't make it right. Why is cute hoorism in this country always so acceptable?
    Last edited by johnnypockets; 5th June 2015 at 09:58 AM.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Cynicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Co Cork
    Posts
    11,122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Another dirty little secret is out and the explanation why was voting for Blatter until it became impossible is explained.

    For sure Delaney and the rest of the the FAI should resign but first they must explain what they did with the largesse.

    The players who were cheated out of a world cup must feel sick in their stomachs after such a revelation. The current team should refuse to play against England this weekend until a full explanation is forthcoming.

    We should have known that if there was corruption we would have our snouts in the trough along with the other blathers.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Ramon Mercadar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The FAI should be nationalised.
    In 1908, in London, at the Olympics, Irish American Martin Sheridan announced “This flag dips for no earthly king," when the US team paraded past the royal box.

  9. #9

    Default

    Fair play John, Screwing €5 million from Blatter to invest in Aviva.

    As someone who was in Paris where the scummy Arsenal player handled I am more than happy to have got the money.

    Laurent Blanc called it correct regarding French football on the day after.

    The fact the French team imploded in itself saw justice being done.

    We gained more from it and getting the cash evern better.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    No, Delaney should not resign, well at least not for this, there may well be other reasons though.

    The FAI lost millions by not qualifying for the 2010 WC, now there is no guarantee that Ireland would have won a penalty shoot out either but the last thing FIFA needed at the time was a headache. It was obviously more lucrative for FIFA to have France there than Ireland, even though the French were dumped out after the group stages. A lawsuit could have created pressure for a replay that Ireland may not have won either so the 5 million was a good way to make the problem go away.
    There was never going to be a replay.

Page 1 of 354 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •