Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112

Thread: Is midnight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

  1. #1

    Default Is midnight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

    Just wondering are there many places that do it or has it been done away with in favour of a pm vigil mass.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dublin South-East
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Is miunight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Just wondering are there many places that do it or has it been done away with in favour of a pm vigil mass.
    Most Church of Ireland churches I know (so those in Dublin) still have midnight mass at the correct hour. But I fully appreciate the reasons why many priests and congregations decide against it.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Midnight mass was revived in Wexford at the Franciscan friary this year as a polish mass. By all accounts it was quite successfull and well attended.
    The friary was handed over from the Franciscan order to another branch of the franciscan's conventual who have a polish priest who said the mass in polish.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Midnight Mass was a late refuge for many drunks falling out of the bars at closing time.
    I was at the so-called Midnight Mass at 6.30, where a very drunk individual kept staggering back and forth in front of the altar, until a priest made him sit down.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Is miunight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

    Quote Originally Posted by St Disibod
    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Just wondering are there many places that do it or has it been done away with in favour of a pm vigil mass.
    Most Church of Ireland churches I know (so those in Dublin) still have midnight mass at the correct hour. But I fully appreciate the reasons why many priests and congregations decide against it.
    They use to have midnight mass at my local Catholic Church up until a few years ago, but a load of drunks kept going to it and all the crap that went with that, so they stopped holding it.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

    Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!
    Private profit for public gain!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ard-Taoiseach
    I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

    Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!
    Er No Midnight mass is at midnight not at 10pm.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!
    No, it is not.

    What you went to was a Christmas Eve "Vigil Mass".

    it is not Midnight Mass unless it starts at 12.00 Midnight

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronanr
    Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!
    No, it is not.

    What you went to was a Christmas Eve "Vigil Mass".

    it is not Midnight Mass unless it starts at 12.00 Midnight
    They called it Midnight Mass, though.
    Private profit for public gain!

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ard-Taoiseach
    I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

    Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!
    GDP is falling, and people are praying a hell of a lot more?
    Anyone else see a correlation?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •