Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The painfully unfunny Brendan O'Carroll

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The painfully unfunny Brendan O'Carroll

At this time of year, as per usual, billboards round Dublin city are covered in posters for Brendan O'Carroll latest stage show.

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of this guy's act? From the brief excerpts I have seen over the years on the Late Late, it seems to consist of Brendan dressing up as a middle aged woman and mouthing inanities like 'me b.ollix' basically at random.

Crass vulgarity, faintly misogynistic in a way that's hard to put one's finger on, and above all just not very funny.

I can understand the attraction of vulgarity taken to the limit, like say Roy Chubby Brown or Andrew Dice Clay, but to me O'Carroll's act doesn't even pass that test.
    We can turn the world around
    We can turn the earth's revolution
    We have the power
    People have the power ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The painfully unfunny Brendan O'Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist
    At this time of year, as per usual, billboards round Dublin city are covered in posters for Brendan O'Carroll latest stage show.

Can anyone explain to me the attraction of this guy's act? From the brief excerpts I have seen over the years on the Late Late, it seems to consist of Brendan dressing up as a middle aged woman and mouthing inanities like 'me b.ollix' basically at random.

Crass vulgarity, faintly misogynistic in a way that's hard to put one's finger on, and above all just not very funny.

I can understand the attraction of vulgarity taken to the limit, like say Roy Chubby Brown or Andrew Dice Clay, but to me O'Carroll's act doesn't even pass that test.
    To add a political edge... http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=14288

Mrs Brown?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's not funny, not one little bit.

Other unfunny examples include PJ Gallagher, his show in general, and Kilnascully.
    Ed Byrne is not funny, nor is the blond woman on the Panel (married to Ray Darcy, I think).

I will bet that we will see at least 5 of the six unfunny examples on our screens courtesy of RTE over the holidays.

Other examples of shitness we can probably look forward to is something to do with Boyzone, Westlife (or both), Your-a-star, Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy (he has a DVD out, we get to see the Frenchman/Gay Byrne sketch again, for the 800th time), something to do with Hugh Grant, and some celebrity jigs and reels.

Punishment.

Roy Chubby Brown is the worst by a long shot, but you are right about how unfunny Brendan O' Connor is. I myself, dislike June Rogers immensely!
    Food tastes better when you put it all together! It's the one best mayonnaise!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The guy was funny in the late 80's early 90's when he first came on the scene. However, for the last decade he has been distinctly unfunny. He is just a bad caricature. Dublin taxi drivers are about the only one's who would buy his latest DVD.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some of Ed Byrne's early stand-up was funny. But not now. I agree with you as regards all the other names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether

Other unfunny examples include PJ Gallagher, his show in general, and Kilnascully.
    Kilnascully is hilarious, O'Carroll is just pure smut
    There are Men, there are Women and there are Politicians. God save old Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking the very same thing last night - how utterly crap Brendan O'Carroll and his "Mrs Brown" series is. I had the misfortune to see about 10 minutes of one of his DVDs. God but it was pathetic.
    (Guys, when I type in capitals it isn't shouting. I have technical problems which makes using italics difficult. Please don't take offence if you see capitals used!)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The traditional Grafton St Radio 1 Christmas Eve show this morning with Joe Duffy was like a ghosts of Christmas past convention: Brendan O'Carroll, Twink, June Rogers and f@cking Red Hurley - did they dig him up for Christmas?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eirenua
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether

Kilnascully is hilarious, O'Carroll is just pure smut
    No its not, its rubbish. Its actually rubbish, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Whoever added June Rodgers- good spot. Also sh1t.

Pidge and Rodge are also crap, they used to be good. Get them off the screen, an entire show doesn't work.

Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast