Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Smuggling

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fuel Smuggling

Tonight's Prime Time program dealt with fuel smuggling and diesel laundering. I was told last year that a certain prominent fuel launderer is never tackled because it would bring down the peace process. I didn't understand why until I saw tonight's program. I didn't realise it was so brazen and unconcealed until I saw this evening's program. It seems obvious that it is seen as a necessary evil.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Ah I was about to create a similar thread on this!

I would have a few comments/questions about the program if people could answer it.

I felt the program was stretching a lot to make this issue important when it really did not seem that big a deal. I do understand that assault/threats/murder which were mentioned are a big deal, but the actual smuggling of fuel does not seem so massive.

Who is losing money? Is it the British government, petrol stations?
    Food tastes better when you put it all together! It's the one best mayonnaise!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent programme.

Its essentially a VAT scam and VAT scams dont make great news stories but this is just sooo obvious that if its not tackled every Tom, Dick and Harry will reckon the VAT men are asleep and nows the time to fleece them.

They will have to act.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't they say something like 5% of the (official) NI market share going through one depot? Must watch again to see exactly what they said. The county councils in the border counties are also effected because their budgets are used cleaning up the sludge. The money is going into the black economy which can never be good.

Default Re: Fuel Smuggling

Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Tonight's Prime Time program dealt with fuel smuggling and diesel laundering. I was told last year that a certain prominent fuel launderer is never tackled because it would bring down the peace process. I didn't understand why until I saw tonight's program. I didn't realise it was so brazen and unconcealed until I saw this evening's program. It seems obvious that it is seen as a necessary evil.

Maybe its because this same fuel smuggler knows information that could destabalise the peace process.

Remember this same fuel smuggler has never been jailed, which seems extraordinary and when arrested by the SAS and was armed was not shot, nor ever targetted by loyalists.
    A Dhia Uilechumhachtaigh na ríochta síoraí, agus a cumhachta gan teorainn; 'Déan trócaire ar an Eaglais uile; agus rialaigh croí do sheirbhísigh thofa ELIZABETH II.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has the person you are speaking of ever been convicted of smuggling/laundering?

I was trying to respect the DGDS rule.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should all campaign to end partition to put these coyboys out of business

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintingMedium
    America

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem for me is that the additives that the put in which wreck cars engines over time.
    Romanticist 75%, Fundamentalist 69%, Idealist 63%, Cultural Creative 63%, Postmodernist 56%, Modernist 44%, Existentialist 44%, Materialist 19%

Pro Deo, Rege et Patria, Hibernia Unanimis

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintingMedium

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) bears the entire brunt of the scam in foregone excise duty. It was an interesting programme, but their failure to put the hard questions to HMRC struck me as quite odd. Green and red diesel scams aside, fuel smuggling is not directly the responsibility of the Garda, the Revenue or oil companies. As the British Exchequer is losing out it's UK state agencies that should be cracking down. The programme didn't make this as explicitly clear as it should have.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast