Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest US President of the past 20 years

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Greatest US President of the past 20 years

I had this discussion with a friend today of which American president was the greatest in our lifetime, Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W. Well I said Reagan (naturally) lower taxes, sorted out the unions, brought down the Soviet Union, restored faith in America did what he said he do. He choose Clinton. Just wondering who other people would choose?
    So, I see you wear shoes. Me too! want to have sex?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Greatest President of the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by west_brit
    Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton or George W
    Reagan, by default because the others were such disasters.

Which is a little unfair on Reagan - he was genuinely one of the best.
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regan's envioremntal record is disastourous. He created a monster in 1980's amercain society. The Soviet Union collasped from within.

I'm going for Clinton. The economy recovered under him and brought repect back to America in world affairs... but most of all: He helped bring peace to a small European island.
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
    Oscar Wilde

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's very unfair to limit it to 20 years, but during that time frame I'd have to say Regan too, closely followed by G43.

Over a 60 year time frame I'd say:

Nixon - United the US, Opened up China, Ended the War in SEA
    JFK - Cuba, Civil Rights
    Regan - Beat the Reds
    FDR - Beat the Nazis
    G43 - War On Terror

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TKWhiskers - I finally agree with you on something. It seems Nixon has brought us together

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aodh_rua
    TKWhiskers - I finally agree with you on something. It seems Nixon has brought us together

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reagan hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by eurocrat
    The Soviet Union collasped from within.
    "The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no doubt in my mind that the greatest US President of the last twenty years has to be Bill Clinton.
    Millions of low - income children began to see college as a reality, rather than a dream , as more low income parents than ever before moved from welfare to work.
    President Clinton inherited the highest deficit in US history in 1993, and when he left in 2001 it was the highest surplus ever . Created under the Clinton were 22 million new jobs. The Earned Income Tax Credit , and its increase. Military spending reduced, modernised for the 21st century.
    He was the first President to employ fully the tools of the internet to spread the fruits of information and knowledge; giving the first webcast ever from the oval office.
    More kids went to college, the real average income actually rose for the first time in 25 years, reform was undertaken in government , to reduce , reform and modernise to the needs of the people. Ultimately, if Clintonomics is to be described as anything it should be remembered as the idea of investing in human capital, ''putting people first''.
    His concern for people went not to their financial well being but also to there place in American Society, civil and political rights. Toni Morrison calling him , 'the first black' President. Tolerance of all was promulgated, such is seen with his handling of homosexuals in the military.
    America under Clinton was a place that was booming, growing , innovating, creating; it never stopped thinking about tomorrow , and never stopped living in a place called Hope.
    And that is just one side ,the domestic, perhaps the lesser of the two, save nothing of his incomparable international and diplomatic accomplishments ; one truly can see how he is unquestionably the greatest president of the last 20 years.

<mod by Conor> I'm moving this from the Chat forum to Foreign Affairs, and I've changed the name to include "US". </mod>

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Military spending reduced
    In other words, military personel got to live below the poverty level. The military budget of the 90s was short sighted to say the least. I know alot of people think cutting military spending equals peace in the world, but it doesn't. Those cuts went straight to military families. Base closings killed local economies. The cuts affected global information sources.

Clinton was one of the worst US presidents of the last 20 years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apart from Clinton's Norn Ireland stuff it's hard to choose one from the other. Especially over such a timespan seeing as they were all such loyal hegemonic leaders/emperors as they hammered developing nation on the anvil of hypocritical neo-liberalism :x

But why restrict it to the last 20 years?

Check out the Best US President of the last century 1900-2000 thread...which starts in a very similar manner to this thread strangely enough...
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic. ... +roosevelt

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast