Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interconnector vs Metro = CIE vs RPA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Interconnector vs Metro = CIE vs RPA

I just realised why the Metro looks like getting built faster than the more important Interconnector tunnel

The Interconnector is a CIE project and the Metro is run by the RPA.

Politics.ie Member droghedasouth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not the greatest fan of CIE(or should we say Iarnroid Eireann), but the interconnector is a far better project than Metro North.

When it comes to cost benefit analysis with FF, the only question is who will benefit. The Bailey brothers will benefit nicely from Metro North with their very nice proposed development opposite the Pavilions in Swords.
    There are times when you are simply required to be impolite. There are times when condescension is called for!
    - Aaron Sorkin writing as President Bartlet to Obama, NYT 21/09/2008

You can't build a smart economy based on dumb decisions.
    - Richard Bruton 18/12/2008

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However since both are so slow, the difference is hardly important.
    Electrical capacity=electrical generation
    In the understanding of SirCharles Post #573 "Bloomberg...renewables"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riven
    I don't think CIE has laid new track since the turf railways of the 1950's. CIE is a world expert in lifting track, however.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    Quote Originally Posted by riven
    I don't think CIE has laid new track since the turf railways of the 1950's. CIE is a world expert in lifting track, however.
    I'm not a big fan of many of IE's ways in particular how they treat their passengers. But close look at most of their projects shows them to have been well managed. Don't forget the poor 80s when they brought in the DART on a relative shoestring.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CIE are unfairly vilified i believe and ur point about the DART is good tv..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A link from Connelly to Heuston already exists...so I view this Interconnector with a little cynicism, although I'm not opposed. The Metro strikes me as being more important to more people and having a bigger impact on traffic, congestion and ease of transport.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    A link from Connelly to Heuston already exists...so I view this Interconnector with a little cynicism, although I'm not opposed. The Metro strikes me as being more important to more people and having a bigger impact on traffic, congestion and ease of transport.
    if so, then you need a bit more research about Dublin Transport. The Interconnector is the silver bullet. It will link up the national rail network while also solving the age old city centre rail congestion issue. however it's been pushed to the back by an incompetent govt.
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    The Phenoix park tunnel can't be used to run Kildare-Dublin darts through to the coastal dart lines to make an integrated system.

The Interconnector will also allow trains to cross the liffey at another point, there is currently a bottleneck that limits capacity of the coastal line.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Again, there is already a rail link from Heuston to Connelly.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast