Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary Online Database (POD) The next bone of contention?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Primary Online Database (POD) The next bone of contention?

The parents of primary school children will soon be asked to give personal details about their children including Ethnicity, religion and their PPSN.
    Is it compulsory?

http://www.education.ie/en/Publicati...or-Parents.pdf

All pupils must be on POD in order to be counted for schoolís capitation payment and
    teacher allocation purposes.
    And yet;

, it is necessary for each individual pupilís parent/guardian to
    identify their own religion and ethnic or cultural background, and to consent for this
    information to be transferred to the Department of Education and Skills.
    The reason they say is;

An online system will help to
    eliminate duplication in data requests to schools and allow real time information to be
    accessed centrally in the Department for school inspections and other administrative
    functions and reduce the response burden on schools.
    I have to say it irks me a bit that my three youngest will be nothing but numbers in a giant system ,neatly pigeon holed for convenience.
    Will people perceive this as another arm of the government forcing them to give personal details?, not that long ago a quango masquerading as a utility company asked for the very same details ,threatening to turn our water supplies down to a trickle if none were furnished.
    A man cannot give birth.

If the kids have nothing to hide...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They'll be grown ups one day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is so wrong with being represented as numbers in a system ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    The parents of primary school children will soon be asked to give personal details about their children including Ethnicity, religion and their PPSN.
    Is it compulsory?

http://www.education.ie/en/Publicati...or-Parents.pdf

And yet;

The reason they say is;

I have to say it irks me a bit that my three youngest will be nothing but numbers in a giant system ,neatly pigeon holed for convenience.
    Will people perceive this as another arm of the government forcing them to give personal details?, not that long ago a quango masquerading as a utility company asked for the very same details ,threatening to turn our water supplies down to a trickle if none were furnished.
    Do not let them intimidate you. Refuse first. Let them explain. And read the Constitution in the meantime to see what it says about this kind of matters.There is also something like a "Law on Privacy". Then you may or may not decide. Remember these data about your children are being given away and stored in computers FOR EVER! Think about the happiness of your children in later life.

PPS Number suffices.

Good luck, my good man.
    Last edited by DarkEyes; 15th January 2015 at 12:23 AM. Reason: replace "of" with "are"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why have so many people got a problem providing Personnel Public Service Numbers when receiving public services?
    When you're accustomed to ascendancy, equality feels like oppression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    They'll be grown ups one day...
    Apparently the information is kept till the child/person is 30.
    A man cannot give birth.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your 3 youngest are nothing more than numbers in the 'system' to all those who don't know them personally.

We all are.

the government forcing them to give personal details?, not that long ago a quango masquerading as a utility company asked for the very same details ,threatening to turn our water supplies down to a trickle if none were furnished.
    The 'state' issues PPS numbers so I've no real problem with the 'state' using those numbers, and nor should you... particularly when keeping track of where public money is going in the form of welfare, benefits etc. etc.

Failing to keep track of all that would be a green light for all sorts of fraud.

It's when private or potentially private companies are given this info where the problems begin...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich OC View Post
    Why have so many people got a problem providing Personnel Public Service Numbers when receiving public services?
    "The parents of primary school children will soon be asked to give personal details about their children including Ethnicity, religion and (their PPSN).

Wrong question and wrong statement.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    Apparently the information is kept till the child/person is 30.
    PPSNs?

I received unsolicited mail from a secondary school in the locality a couple of months ago, addressed to 'parents of my (primary school) child, our home address' etc.

I was not happy about it.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast