Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 203 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 2028

Thread: Irish government to recognise "Palestine".

  1. #1

    Default Irish government to recognise "Palestine".

    Dominic Hannigan @Domhannigan · 32m32 minutes ago

    Government is supporting motion to recognise Palestine. My understanding is that the timing of the recognition will be quite soon. #labour


    Can someone explain what this pointless gesture is supposed to achieve? A supposed country that has no defined borders, is not a full UN member and is effectively run by a terrorist organisation. Are we going to also recognise the Islamic state?


    UPDATE: it looks like Hannigan got it wrong. It looks like Charlie Flanaghan has decided to take the German line (and not the Swedish one) and let the EU decide whether to press the button on recognising "Palestiine."

    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...state-27506824
    Last edited by Keith-M; 11th December 2014 at 01:35 AM.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down da bunker
    Posts
    4,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sure won't it give the leftist gowls in the dail something to crow about.
    Wasn't jarry the paedo enabler off there licking the pallys asses.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Sir Winston Churchill

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Dominic Hannigan @Domhannigan · 32m32 minutes ago

    Government is supporting motion to recognise Palestine. My understanding is that the timing of the recognition will be quite soon. #labour


    Can someone explain what this pointless gesture is supposed to achieve? A supposed country that has no defined borders, is not a full UN member and is effectively run by a terrorist organisation. Are we going to also recognise the Islamic state?
    The debate is scheduled for after Enda's spanking.

    I hope Deputy Hannigan is right. Good news. A coup for SF perhaps?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Big swinging mickey says Israel!!
    OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT! NO, WE AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT! OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    A place from which the world makes sense.
    Posts
    5,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Excellent news.. Let's hope a trade ban with Israel soon follows..

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member theloner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Posts
    9,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Just a pity we are so far down on the list to recognize the bullied state. We'll be 136th I think.

    Being on a political website you should know that negotiations are key to conflict resolution, and recognizing Palestine gives future negotiations more oomph, clout and chances of success due to pressure, obligation and officialdom. On the other hand, you are Keith-M and are unlikely to grasp these little subtleties.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    The debate is scheduled for after Enda's spanking.

    I hope Deputy Hannigan is right. Good news. A coup for SF perhaps?
    You really have the hots for SF these days, don't you?

  8. #8

    Default

    Just what is it exactly about 'Palestine' they are recognising?
    Is it:
    - The Government of 'Palestine' (they dont have one)
    - The borders of 'Palestine' (undefined)
    - The Constitution of 'Palestine' (non existent)
    - The laws of 'Palestine' (ditto)
    - The rulers of 'Palestine' (entirely corrupt)
    Would be interested to know...

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Hes on a roll is Inda....first he recognises the homeless....now Palestine...any chance soon he will recognise the pain and suffering of his own people and stop trying to buy them off with ******************************ing vote grabbing trinkets??
    OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT! NO, WE AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT! OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Just a pity we are so far down on the list to recognize the bullied state. We'll be 136th I think.

    Being on a political website you should know that negotiations are key to conflict resolution, and recognizing Palestine gives future negotiations more oomph, clout and chances of success due to pressure, obligation and officialdom. On the other hand, you are Keith-M and are unlikely to grasp these little subtleties.
    What conflict resolution, the one between Hamas and the PLO or between who wins that battle and Israel? There is no negotiation in progress and none being planned. The arab controlled areas can't decide who they want to represent them and Israel is going for a General Election next year.

    And if you believe that recognition of non-existant states promotes conflict resolution, why stop at "Palestine". Why not TRN Cyprus or the Islamic State?
    Last edited by Keith-M; 9th December 2014 at 06:32 PM.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Page 1 of 203 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •