Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Gamergate"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Default "Gamergate"

I'm surprised there hasn't already been a thread about this. Here's Wikipedia's summary:

Gamergate (sometimes referred to as GamerGate or as a hashtag #gamergate) is a controversy centering on misogyny and harassment in video game culture, the role of social commentary in game critiques, and ethics in video game journalism, particularly alleged conflicts of interest between video game journalists and developers. The controversy began in August 2014 and has occurred primarily over social media. A number of people, primarily women, working in the gaming industry in various capacities were subjected to an intense campaign of harassment and violent threats. It prompted increased attention to "deep-rooted anti-feminist sentiment" and issues of sexism and misogyny in segments of the gaming community. A subsequent series of death threats against prominent women in gaming drew international media attention to the movement's association with violent harassment. In response to what they considered attacks from the media, GamerGate supporters have increasingly focused on contacting companies advertising on gaming news outlets, embroiling several major companies in the controversy.
    My two cents: Those who identify with the gamer-gate movement claim that it is about ethics in journalism. Their actions, however, suggest otherwise. They have virtually ignored recent controversies that actually involve questionable practices on the part of games developers, and have chosen instead to direct the majority of their vitriol attacking developers and journalists who have been critical of the depiction of women and minorities in video-games.

Their attacks are disproportionately targeted at women, such as Anita Sarkeesian - a feminist critique of video-games, Zoe Quinn, a female game developer who gamergaters falsely believed was sleeping with journalists in exchange for favourable reviews of her games, and Felicia Day, an actress and writer, for merely speaking out against the gamergate "movement".

After several websites published articles critical of gamergate, members of the movement orchestrated a partially successful campaign to have advertisers pull their ads from the websites in question (strange behaviour indeed from a group that claims to be interested in journalism which is not beholden to the influence of advertisers and developers).

The various harrassment and "doxxing" (the practice of revealing a person's personal information, or 'documents' online) culminated recently in Sarkeesian cancelling a talk she was due to give at a university in Utah, following threats of an attack. Various other targets of gamergate, most of them women, have been subjected to rape and death threats, with some of them (like the above-mentioned Zoe Quinn and Sarkeesian) being forced to flee their homes.

It would be interesting to hear from fellow gamers (and fellow feminists) as to your thoughts on this fiasco.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe that's evidence that spending too much time playing computer games does have a negative impact on the player's personality, reducing empathy, and increasing tendencies to violence.

Or maybe they're just personality traits of the sort of person that's drawn to spending a lot of time playing computer games.

Careful now.

Never had those issues playing Jetset Willy and Horace goes Skiing on my ZX Spectrum.

Gamers need to get some kids, or something else which will take every drop of spare time from their lives
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It highlights there's a very weird vocal subset of gamer fans who can't get partners and so hate all dem bitches as a result. They're this generation's wrestling fans. I don't think it says much about society as large.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

As for that bloody 'gate' suffix. Watergate was one word (the Watergate offices), so why is 'gate' tagged onto every crisis/scandal?

Kind of like alcoholic becoming workoholic, etc. Surely it should be workic?

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It highlights there's a very weird vocal subset of gamer fans who can't get partners and so hate all dem bitches as a result. They're this generation's wrestling fans. I don't think it says much about society as large.
    They don't get it easy, easy, easy? Is that what you're saying, big daddy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    They don't get it easy, easy, easy? Is that what you're saying, big daddy?
    Surely you mean Big Momma? Although we don't know her size but whatever ...

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Surely you mean Big Momma? Although we don't know her size but whatever ...
    You're some macho man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    You're some macho man
    What make you think I'm a man?

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gamers want to game. Anita Sarkessian wants attention. That's about all there is to this manufactured 1st-world navel gazing.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast