Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: "Asking Rents" and the Irish Property Owners Assoc

  1. #1

    Default "Asking Rents" and the Irish Property Owners Assoc

    Lads, just a thought.

    These daft index figures are not actual rents, but “asking rents”.

    So what this is showing is that the BTL crowd, under increasing pressure of repayments, are desperately pushing for higher rents. That is not to say that higher rents are being achieved.

    In view of the rising rental volumes available, it may be the case that financial reality is causing BTL’ers to push for higher rents, but market fundamentals suggest that in reality they must accept falling rents or fail to rent.

    This brings us to the partial successes and failures of propoganda in various areas. Rents rise where renters fall for propoganda that rents are rising. It’s the same old thing all over again – bubble pyschology. You have to remember that Landlords have organisation such as the Irish Property Owners Asociation to coordinate these types of market distorting tactics. These tactics prey on the individual and isolated nature of the renter who has nothing to counteract the false impression formed in his mind. There should be an Irish Property Renters Association or Union.

    Rents will only rise if Renters bring about a rise in rents.

    My advice is to risk a lease non renewal. Ask for a reduction before you are asked for a rise! Despite the propoganda there will always be a distressed landlord somwehere (hence the rental volumes). Fuedal Tenure in the modern age comes home to roost, dontcha just love it!

    Finally, is Freedom lover president or a member of the Irish Property Owners Association? It’s propaganda officer perhaps? It would explain a lot!

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KERRY
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    www.thepropertypin.com is the best source of info on rents that I am aware of, they have a number of threads running on it.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    12,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: "Asking Rents" and the Irish Property Owners A

    Quote Originally Posted by Corroboration
    Lads, just a thought.

    These daft index figures are not actual rents, but “asking rents”.

    So what this is showing is that the BTL crowd, under increasing pressure of repayments, are desperately pushing for higher rents. That is not to say that higher rents are being achieved.

    In view of the rising rental volumes available, it may be the case that financial reality is causing BTL’ers to push for higher rents, but market fundamentals suggest that in reality they must accept falling rents or fail to rent.
    That's certainly an explanation that allows us to have a rising stock of properties to rent, at the same time as a reported rise in rents.

    Do we really honestly genuinely not have such a thing as a rent survey, or a property price survey, conducted on rents and prices actually paid?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: "Asking Rents" and the Irish Property Owners A

    Quote Originally Posted by ibis
    Do we really honestly genuinely not have such a thing as a rent survey, or a property price survey, conducted on rents and prices actually paid?
    It's worse than that, Jim.

    We don't have hard data on any aspect of the entire property business. The entire thing is shrouded in secrecy and nudge-nudge. We don't have accurate data on asking prices, never mind knowing what prices actual houses actually sold at; we don't know sales volumes; we don't have accurate breakdowns of buyer categories (FTB, tradeup, tradedown, investor) within those non-existent volumes; we don't know rents achieved; we don't know rental volumes or the level of churn in the rental market.....

    We know nothing. All we can do is try and slice through the spin, glean occasional nuggets from various "reports", use anecdotes and website-scraping, all in order to put together a guess of what is really going on. Everything to do with property in the country is treated like a State Secret.
    Je suis un loo-lah

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Akrasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    in Toxicated
    Posts
    1,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    www.thepropertypin.com is the best source of info on rents that I am aware of, they have a number of threads running on it.
    I feel like a kid asking someone to buy him fags, but could you have a word with whoever moderates that website and ask him to approve my e-mail address. I've tried to register a few times but they never let me in (the bastards)
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KERRY
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akrasia
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    www.thepropertypin.com is the best source of info on rents that I am aware of, they have a number of threads running on it.
    I feel like a kid asking someone to buy him fags, but could you have a word with whoever moderates that website and ask him to approve my e-mail address. I've tried to register a few times but they never let me in (the bastards)
    PM Andrew (p.ie administrator) he has something to do with the running of the site.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Look fellas, the truth about rents is as simple as this. People who could not afford to buy houses because of their outrageous cost will not be able to afford higher rent for the same reason. A sensible calculation needs to be made: what can people on average salaries be expcted to afford AFTER paying for huge energy bills, huge telephone bills, school books, massively increased food costs, medical and dental costs etc etc etc etc etc etc

    Get real. You've been left high and dry - all you amateur property investors especially. You've been treated with all the same contempt and cynicism as the people you are now hoping to exploit to get you out of the jam you got yourselves into.

    There are almost a qaurter of a million empty houses in Ireland. The scale of this goverment's deception and incompetence will come home to roost yet.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    12,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: "Asking Rents" and the Irish Property Owners A

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis
    Do we really honestly genuinely not have such a thing as a rent survey, or a property price survey, conducted on rents and prices actually paid?
    It's worse than that, Jim.

    We don't have hard data on any aspect of the entire property business. The entire thing is shrouded in secrecy and nudge-nudge. We don't have accurate data on asking prices, never mind knowing what prices actual houses actually sold at; we don't know sales volumes; we don't have accurate breakdowns of buyer categories (FTB, tradeup, tradedown, investor) within those non-existent volumes; we don't know rents achieved; we don't know rental volumes or the level of churn in the rental market.....

    We know nothing. All we can do is try and slice through the spin, glean occasional nuggets from various "reports", use anecdotes and website-scraping, all in order to put together a guess of what is really going on. Everything to do with property in the country is treated like a State Secret.
    It really is fecking incredible. Mind you, any scientific survey I was ever involved with in this country had exactly the same problem - there was nobody collecting baseline data, or you couldn't have it, or you'd swear somebody had set out to bollix it up before they even started.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Mmmmmmm can't the stamping office provide a sevrice here ?

    I'm thinking one of the major features of an efficient market is information dissemination. The stamping office have the figures on house sales. Also above a certain threshold (think tis €21k) all leases have to be stamped.

    Why not require all rental agreements to be stamped (& the revenue commissioners to leverage this source rather than their present methods). Rather than a % fee I'm thinking of some processing fee : say €40 per agreement.

    This central registration would help tennants establish their rights, help landlors when people run out of informal arranagements... and move us towards an efficient property market ?

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aragon

    There are almost a qaurter of a million empty houses in Ireland. The scale of this goverment's deception and incompetence will come home to roost yet.
    Free will in buying houses and people not forced to do so for living in or for investment purposes.

    Govt is not to blame if people wish to spend their own money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •