Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA to blame for Longford accident

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default NRA to blame for Longford accident

I'm loath to comment on this but it is really grating on me that everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. If they don't want to talk about the true nature of the accident then they should keep quiet.

Everyone is blaming the NRA for the death's of the two girls in Longford earlier this week. There has been no mention of the fact that 6 people were travelling in a car with five seatbelts and legally allowed to carry five people.

It's insensitive to the mother's of the children concerned to speak about this but that is no excuse for blaming the NRA. Either shut up or talk about the real reason for their deaths. Out of over 500,000 penalty point offences prosecuted last year less than 5,000 were for failing to properly restrain a child.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 32560.html
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see dozens of cars each day with unrestrained children in them. I have come to the conclusion that some parents here are highly negligent in their duty of care to their offspring.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it fair to say that the NRA were responsible for the accident, but the adults in the car were responsible for the fact it resulted in fatalities?

I understand the point you're making and I also understand that people should drive in a way that is safe for the road conditions, but it is true that our roads are very badly engineered.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There were approximately 28,000 accidents in 2005.
    Approximately 6,000 resulted in injury.
    360 resulted in death.

Accidents happen. Not wearing a seatbelt greatly increases the chances of injuries and deaths in those accidents.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always find it disconcerting to hear of 'accidents' even though the crash involved illegal (eg speeding/drunk) driving. They are not accidents, just plain bad driving.

The NRA cannot be held responsible for bad driving per say (they can by not making training better). If the child was not restrained, it is not their fault but
    1 the fault of the person who caused the accident (90%)
    2 the fault of the person who did not insure that in case of an accident, every protective measure was taken to reduce injury (10%)

ps percentages are my opinion of level of 'blame'
    Electrical capacity=electrical generation
    In the understanding of SirCharles Post #573 "Bloomberg...renewables"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If everyone in that car was properly restrained I don't believe there would have been any fatalities. That's what I am taking issue with.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While its true that in the majority of cases wearing a seatbelt will lower your risk of injury or death it is not always the case. A neighbour of mine was a back seat passenger in a car when it was hit side-on at a junction. He was thrown to the other side of the car by the impact. The firemen said to him that if he'd been wearing a belt in all likelyhood he'd be dead or at least paralysed.
    Most accidents are caused by bad driving - our system of teaching and testing driving is a joke.
    'It would be a fine memorial to the men who have died so splendidly if we could, over their graves, build a bridge between North and South...' Major Wille Redmond MP, 1917

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont know the full details and I am appalled at the death of the children, but how on earth does someone crash on an empty road?

Two reasons I can think of:

1. Crap driving.
    2. Crap roads.

Irrespective, I would criminally charge the driver if there were children unrestrained in the car.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a coroner's court or district court will in due course apportion blame;
    in the meantime, the driver is innocent until proven guilty;
    now lets have some compassion please.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The OD
    I dont know the full details and I am appalled at the death of the children, but how on earth does someone crash on an empty road?

Two reasons I can think of:

1. Crap driving.
    2. Crap roads.

Irrespective, I would criminally charge the driver if there were children unrestrained in the car.
    Crap roads can be discounted for tw reasons
    1 RSA figures for 2005 show that only five% of deaths on our roads had bad roads as a cause
    2 If the road is that bad, slow down
    Electrical capacity=electrical generation
    In the understanding of SirCharles Post #573 "Bloomberg...renewables"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast