Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analysis on those opposed to the current Sinn Féin strategy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Analysis on those opposed to the current Sinn Féin strategy

Raymond McCartney MLA
    Derry Sinn Féin

A number of years ago Martin McGuinness contended that the group which calls itself the Real IRA had nothing to offer strategically, tactically or politically in ending British rule in Ireland.

With each passing year and sporadic armed incident this analysis has grown in strength and therefore cannot be dismissed as the ritual politics of condemnation.

Indeed the rationale provided for the recent attack on Jim Doherty on Bishop Street, planting hoax bombs outside Martin Meehan's house and shooting up Liam Bradley's home can be viewed as products of that political and strategic bankruptcy.

For full post:

http://******************************************************************************.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ymond.html
    'The times they are a changing!'

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A very good article. I suspect though that the eejits in RIRA/CIRA etc will choose to ignore it and/or ridicule it.

As I have just posted on another thread, 35 years of extreme violence did not remove the Brits from this island so another 35 years won't either.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu
    A very good article. I suspect though that the eejits in RIRA/CIRA etc will choose to ignore it and/or ridicule it.

As I have just posted on another thread, 35 years of extreme violence did not remove the Brits from this island so another 35 years won't either.
    You could say 800 years of violence, but hey, who's counting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, one might ask what did the Provos offer that the RIRA don't? And also, if one must be a militant republican, surely it is better to do so as part of an organisation that is not riddled with British MI5 spies?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold

True, but I was thinking more on the lines of 1969 onwards as being extremely violent.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Analysis on those opposed to the current Sinn Féin strat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dylan
    Raymond McCartney MLA
    Derry Sinn Féin

A number of years ago Martin McGuinness contended that the group which calls itself the Real IRA had nothing to offer strategically, tactically or politically in ending British rule in Ireland.

With each passing year and sporadic armed incident this analysis has grown in strength and therefore cannot be dismissed as the ritual politics of condemnation.

Indeed the rationale provided for the recent attack on Jim Doherty on Bishop Street, planting hoax bombs outside Martin Meehan's house and shooting up Liam Bradley's home can be viewed as products of that political and strategic bankruptcy.

For full post:

http://******************************************************************************.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ymond.html
    I see he is just borrowing some of the SDLP's old speeches now at least they were consistant it's amazing how money and power can change people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True, but I was thinking more on the lines of 1969 onwards as being extremely violent.
    Really, I would have thought there were far more violent periods in our history. Or is your view based on the fact that it is fresh in the memory?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and 1916-1923 was'nt violent??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kerrygold & scarface, yes 1916 - 23 was violent but 1969 is relevant as being relatively recent. There aren't many people alive now that were in 1916 - 23. There are many people who remember the troubles of 69 on.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some parts of the piece are very tellling of the path on which the provos now find themselves. What was McCartney's mandate for, what he would now consider, the murder of those Brits he stiffed? He criticises others for claiming that the only mandate required is the British presence - an ideology he once subscribed to, and even in hindsight one he wouldn't concede to being wrong about (even though others who feel like that now are wrong in his eyes). Something the stoops considered him wrong about when he was a soldier. See a pattern forming? A little bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.

Another part that I wish to draw attention to is a quote by Adams in the piece where he says "In the past I have defended the right of the IRA to engage in armed struggle. I did so because there was no alternative for those who would not bend the knee, or turn a blind eye to oppression, or for those who wanted a national republic. Now there is an alternative."
    This is, by and large, a lie. The outcome which the provos have settled for was available to be pursued in the past. I suspect I'll get the usual rubbish about how Sunningdale excluded Republicans while the GFA does not. If you really think the GFA is some major departure from what was proposed 25 years earlier in relation to pursuing unification and independence then it says a lot about your selective memory, or laziness in not reading the proposals of Sunningdale or a simple willingness to be led like a sheep.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast