Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Medicalise walking

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Medicalise walking

See Prescribe regular walk for unfit patients, says GP - Telegraph

In the above report, a UK doctor who encouraged his patients to take up walking instead of taking prescription drugs for many ailments found that many experienced improved health eg reduced obesity and reduced dependance on antidepressants.

However, the medical profession is reluctant to follow this doctor's lead. That's because it is far easier to cater to patients' preferences for prescriptions instead of attempting to motivate them on the importance of regular walking.

Given the colossal costs of medical care, governments and medical insurers who fund most of the medical bills should pressure doctors to medicalise walking for ailments that could be cured or lessened by walking.

Politics.ie Member Ellen Ripley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It'll never catch on--it makes sense and is free!

A great idea for younger patients who would not be suffering from these ailments but for their sedentary lifestyles; but in practice it can be difficult.

Fine in Summer, where there is a park locally, or a well-lit route in Winter.

Not always easy to find a safe area away from traffic, with footpaths that are free from the ubiquitous dog-fouling...

Politics.ie Member irishpancake's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is where I walk, me and herself, when I am feeling up to it.......

I feel blessed, if an Atheist can be blessed....I think I am anyway.

Walk of the week: Mullaghmeen Forest, Co Westmeath - Independent.ie

imagine, the highest point in Westmeath...rotflmao

it does not bear thinking about, or yiz will collapse in a heap laffin at the very thought

I always feel better afterwards, for days....and days

I recommend walking to everyone [obviously no offence to those who cannot for various reasons], it is what we are meant to do

I walked there yesterday, and my ass is scalded...honestly!!! [Chemo and avastin are a hoor on the ass]

Don't tell anyone about this place.....shhhhhhhhh.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post

I have been planning to go there on one of my trips home since I read about it in both the Indo link you included and in Viney's IT column but have not managed to do so yet. There's something magical about the verdant shade of a beech forest. The Chilterns are a great place to see these trees. They may not be native but I love them all the same.

I have been reduced to walking after many sports-related injuries and have belatedly discovered what a joy it is. Plus I don't feel like someone has recently assaulted me when I wake up in the morning. I got in an average of 14,000 steps per day in August, a record for me. The weight is coming off slowly but surely.
    Last edited by Ardillaun; 4th September 2014 at 04:26 AM.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best things in life are free and work. I walk 10 km a day early morning and feel a million times better than I used to when I was sedentary. Feel more alive, lower cholesterol and look better and have WAY more energy.

Drugs do not always work for certain things exercise is better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpancake View Post

imagine, the highest point in Westmeath...rotflmao

it does not bear thinking about, or yiz will collapse in a heap laffin at the very thought

I always feel better afterwards, for days....and days

I recommend walking to everyone [obviously no offence to those who cannot for various reasons], it is what we are meant to do

I walked there yesterday, and my ass is scalded...honestly!!! [Chemo and avastin are a hoor on the ass]

Don't tell anyone about this place.....shhhhhhhhh.
    I'll do this one over the weekend. Looks lovely.

Started walking this year - should have taken it up years ago. It really is good for the head.

Avastin is worth a scalded ass.
    Last edited by ger12; 4th September 2014 at 08:12 AM.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    The best things in life are free and work. I walk 10 km a day early morning and feel a million times better than I used to when I was sedentary. Feel more alive, lower cholesterol and look better and have WAY more energy.

Drugs do not always work for certain things exercise is better.

Indeed I see your cheeks are glowing.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    Indeed I see your cheeks are glowing.
    Don't you mean Irishpancake?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    See Prescribe regular walk for unfit patients, says GP - Telegraph

In the above report, a UK doctor who encouraged his patients to take up walking instead of taking prescription drugs for many ailments found that many experienced improved health eg reduced obesity and reduced dependance on antidepressants.

However, the medical profession is reluctant to follow this doctor's lead. That's because it is far easier to cater to patients' preferences for prescriptions instead of attempting to motivate them on the importance of regular walking.

Given the colossal costs of medical care, governments and medical insurers who fund most of the medical bills should pressure doctors to medicalise walking for ailments that could be cured or lessened by walking.
    Jesus, modern Western civiisation is truly f_ucked.

There was a day when this story would have been. Fat, lazy unhealthy person told by doctor to go get some f_uckng excercise. Today, it needs a clinical diagnosis, a clinical medical name, a psyochological or physiological mumbo jumbo "cause" and a "prescription.

Not to mention the "awareness campaign", "national strategy", "support groups", "sensitivity training" etc. etc. etc.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of sedentary lifestyles are a consequence of being tied to a house in a grim area with small children. That becomes the default and cause of so much.

The awareness campaigns are, unfortunately, needed. But we need to not judge so harshly.

So far this thread has been compassionate.
    You have disgraced yourselves again...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast