Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DNA Databases

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default DNA Databases

Hi, I'm interested as to what people on this site think of DNA databases, like those currently in operation in the UK and United States.

The United Kingdom National DNA Database was set up in 1995. As of the end of 2005 it carried the profiles of around 3.4 million people, over 585,000 of them taken from children aged under 16. At the end of 2006, this figure had risen to more than 4 million records, making it the world's biggest DNA database at the time.

The database grows by over 30,000 samples each month, and since April 2004, anyone arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of involvement in any recordable offence (all except the most minor offences) has their DNA sample taken and stored in the database for 100 years, whether or not they are subsequently charged or convicted

Does this represent a threat to civil liberties, and should such a system be introduced in Ireland?[/b]
    I have nothing to say. I say it regularly.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should all give our DNA details to the most responsible man in Ireland - our Taoiseach. Today.

He will take care of everythingg

You might not get a receipt.

But don't worry, be happy!

(On the other hand if you do not find that idea immediately appealing then try this link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 02,00.html )

Gimpanzee

Default Re: DNA Databases

I'm all for them - should be done as part of the registration of births in the hospitals. I have little concern about the civil liberties waffle - if some evil-doer wants to get a sample of your DNA for their dastardly Orwellian plan it is virtually impossible to stop them anyway. Scientists have started publishing their own entire genomes, to be poured over by geneticists all over the world, and they aren't concerned.

Aside from the security benefits there is massive potential for medical benefits based on studies focusing on localised populations - like knowing what diseases Irish people are predisposed to.

Gimpanzee

double post...

Its both a threat and a help.

A young girl was murdered in Croydon and the scum bag had lived near her years before but police had no record of him living there as was staying with a friend.

He got arrested for minor affray at a pub and when sample came back it matched what they were looking for. No chance of him being found otherwise.

http://www.redhillandreigatelife.co.uk/ ... murder.php

I'm still opposed to it though.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd have no problem with them though I think the first step should be national ID numbers and cards along the lines of Sweden which is both practical and necessary.
    "I would be ashamed to lead a party who persecuted any man for his religion, just as I would not tolerate any man persecuting me because of mine"
    Sir Edward Carson, Feb 3rd 1921

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do not give them to AIB as they may get them mixed up.

AIB has apologised after 15,000 payment advice slips with bank account details and home addresses were sent to the wrong customers.

A spokesperson for the bank said that a computer error had caused the receipts, which acknowledge foreign currency lodgements to be sent to the wrong addresses.

The bank says it sincerely regrets what has happened and that it has informed the Data Protection Commissioner.
    - RTE

Likewise do not give them to the UK Revenue people.

Or the Nationwide Building Society

or really to anyone except our Taoiseach.

Senator Martin Mansergh has reminded us how responsible Mr Ahern is.

He is truly reponsible for everything.

(I must look up that word responsible in the dictionary again)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee
    Aside from the security benefits there is massive potential for medical benefits based on studies focusing on localised populations - like knowing what diseases Irish people are predisposed to.
    All of those benefits can be obtained by taking a sample from volunteers and anyway, that is not the reason why the system is being proposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for them - should be done as part of the registration of births in the hospitals. I have little concern about the civil liberties waffle - if some evil-doer wants to get a sample of your DNA for their dastardly Orwellian plan it is virtually impossible to stop them anyway. Scientists have started publishing their own entire genomes, to be poured over by geneticists all over the world, and they aren't concerned.

And adjusting your health insurance premiums accordingly.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

I'm all for them. I have little concern about the civil liberties waffle - if someone wants to get a sample of your DNA it is virtually impossible to stop them. Scientists have started publishing their own entire genomes, to be poured over by geneticists all over the world, and they aren't concerned.
    Phew.... I was getting worried for a while there, but sure as long as the scientists aren't concerned it must be a great thing. Thank you for clearing that up for us Gimpanzee.

Everyone will benefit, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, it will help cure disease, it will stop invisable superhuman terrorists yada yada yada .
    The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast