Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: GREAT LITTLE COUNTRY FOR..Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    High speed broadband is not. It is a luxury.
    I completely disagree and the more technology the more the broadband network becomes essential.
    But considering some parts of Ireland didn't get electrification
    until the late 60s it's neither a new debate, nor new arguments put forward, nor am I surprised by the lack of recognition of the problem by those who benefit from the modern network.

It applies everywhere, those who have Versus those who have not. 2 tier society.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

F**k of boggers!!

FFS Andycap... ... if you're going to hurl around insults at least get the spelling correct...

It's 'off' with to 'f's... unless of course, you're trying to coin/create a new collective noun for boggers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    1) I am not sure why people expect politicians to deliver broadband

2) If you live in BallyfeicNowhere...you shouldn't be surprised if broadband is poor

cYp
    You do realise that people work in rural Ireland yes?
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli View Post
    No Cruimh, It wasn't. I said a small business with 10 or 15 users.
    Ignore him, he's trolling.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Neither.

1) Tell me why a dairy farmer with 100 cows needs broadband? Or are you saying Farming shuld become industrialised into 2 or 3 vast businesses?

2) The more you "develop" an area with businesses and housing the less land there is for said farmers to farm.....
    No Cruimh it not just broadband for the sake of netflix 'tho that would sell a lot of BB.
    I haven't farmed for years but when I did I needed internet, at first it was for the animal registration, the tax office wouldn't accept returns on-line then. But times moved on you need a minimum of 2mb to have on-line banking or the bloody thing times out. You need to make returns to government offices, car tax, animal movement, most of the office part of farming is now done on-line.
    Never mind the sheer convenience of searching for the best prices for goods and services on-line, not having to ring every bloody place to see if they have what you want in stock. Any thing less than 10mb isn't going to cut it in the next few years.
    Most business in rural areas are not land gobbling mega plexes, they are small to medium enterprises providing services to farms other business and local households. Keeping them viable in their area reduces the commuter traffic and increases quality of life for rural dwellers. Local shops stay open, local pubs stay open schools and all the rest because people have a living their.
    Once that moves to an urban area another housing bubble and next thing you know we do live in one huge suburb. With holiday homes buyers driving out the few locals who still live in the area.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2bad View Post
    No Cruimh it not just broadband for the sake of netflix 'tho that would sell a lot of BB.
    I haven't farmed for years but when I did I needed internet, at first it was for the animal registration, the tax office wouldn't accept returns on-line then. But times moved on you need a minimum of 2mb to have on-line banking or the bloody thing times out. You need to make returns to government offices, car tax, animal movement, most of the office part of farming is now done on-line.
    Never mind the sheer convenience of searching for the best prices for goods and services on-line, not having to ring every bloody place to see if they have what you want in stock. Any thing less than 10mb isn't going to cut it in the next few years.
    Most business in rural areas are not land gobbling mega plexes, they are small to medium enterprises providing services to farms other business and local households. Keeping them viable in their area reduces the commuter traffic and increases quality of life for rural dwellers. Local shops stay open, local pubs stay open schools and all the rest because people have a living their.
    Once that moves to an urban area another housing bubble and next thing you know we do live in one huge suburb. With holiday homes buyers driving out the few locals who still live in the area.
    What he said!!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

ya think that is bad. I am in the USA. At the gates of the town there is a 2GB optic cable. It is used only by the police and the Library. If I want broadband I have two options...

AT&T max 5mb down and 1mb up cost.. 96 dollars a month.

OR

Local cable provider 20mb down and 2mb up 135 dollars a month

Satellite available but 140 a month for 2mb down and 1up.

At least Ireland has a plan..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    FFS Andycap... ... if you're going to hurl around insults at least get the spelling correct...

It's 'off' with to 'f's... unless of course, you're trying to coin/create a new collective noun for boggers?
    Good spot.

Seriously though I'm not surprised. I was rolling around laughing at my post it took me about 20mins to click send.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good spot.

Seriously though I'm not surprised. I was rolling around laughing at my post it took me about 20mins to click send.

I bet you live alone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    ya think that is bad. I am in the USA. At the gates of the town there is a 2GB optic cable. It is used only by the police and the Library. If I want broadband I have two options...

AT&T max 5mb down and 1mb up cost.. 96 dollars a month.

OR

Local cable provider 20mb down and 2mb up 135 dollars a month

Satellite available but 140 a month for 2mb down and 1up.

At least Ireland has a plan..
    ATT is such a scam company, back in 2007 I got DSL for the fist time, and they had a 6Mb down package, and then later on i went to Charter Cable Internet in 2010, then in Mid 2011 I went back to ATT and the max they had was 3Mb for new plans since they were planning to start offering their Uverse package.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast