Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it right that State funded religious schools can dismiss teachers for being gay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is it right that State funded religious schools can dismiss teachers for being gay?

Patsy McGarry in today's Irish Times says it is wrong:
    Ireland is continuing to fail its gay teachers in the classroom - Religious News & Affairs | The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 11, 2014

Personally whilst I find it distasteful I think that the freedom of education here is a good thing. Anyone who wants to can set up a school provided they comply with minimum standards. That said the Churches controlling so many schools is a legacy of a bygone era and I think that needs to change. Thoughts ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you find freedom in relation to education a good then you must respect the rights of denominations to make moral decisions concerning their own ethos and who they chose to employ.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Patsy McGarry in today's Irish Times says it is wrong:
    Ireland is continuing to fail its gay teachers in the classroom - Religious News & Affairs | The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 11, 2014

Personally whilst I find it distasteful I think that the freedom of education here is a good thing. Anyone who wants to can set up a school provided they comply with minimum standards. That said the Churches controlling so many schools is a legacy of a bygone era and I think that needs to change. Thoughts ?

cYp
    No!

The State won't pay a grant to cover rent of a school building. The State is not funding new school buildings where there is capacity in religious or superstitious schools!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All employers should have to comply with all employment law. Simples.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

People send heir children to schools with a religious ethos for a reason. If teachers have a difficulty accepting the religious ethos of a school, then they should seek employment elsewhere.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    People send heir children to schools with a religious ethos for a reason. If teachers have a difficulty accepting the religious ethos of a school, then they should seek employment elsewhere.
    Nonsense, a large number of people send their children to schools with a religious ethos because they have no choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    If you find freedom in relation to education a good then you must respect the rights of denominations to make moral decisions concerning their own ethos and who they chose to employ.
    All the same, no one has a free hand to discriminate as they see fit.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People send their children to superstitious schools because they have no other choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But you can't seriously be saying that because you're gay a school can fire you?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If schools fired all their gay teachers, they'd be short a whole hell of a lot of staffmembers. There should be no canon employment law in the 21st century anyway, doubly so if the state is paying the wages.

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast