Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Law Society Disciplinary Tribunal

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Law Society Disciplinary Tribunal

In December 2006 the LS DT found Thomas Byrne guilty of misconduct in that he, among other things,
    (1) allowed a deficit of 1.7m on his client account
    (2) "allowed personal transactions of the solicitor himself to be drawn on the client bank account, where no cleared funds were held on his behalf."

Details on p 53-4 of March 2007 Law Gazette

Any time I ever discussed the mechanics of client accounts with solicitors they displayed massive levels of paranoia about their accuracy.

Can anybody think of any reason why a person found guilty of the above should be allowed to continue practising?
    "Your vision is right, my vision is wrong, I'm sorry for smudging the air with my song"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's fraud and they should not only be disbarred from practising but prosecuted for criminal activity.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ethics and solicitors is fascinating.

This is their Enron moment.

Enron has actually made the lives of accountants (that didn't loose their jobs) better.

We now have the moral and legal authority to tell dodgy clients to F* off.

From talking to solicitors it appears that they feel that it is acceptable to bend rules to keep clients where as an accountant is obliged to ditch such clients.

I think the Law Society has let solicitors down by not enforcing the rues more rigidly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Law Society Disciplinary Tribunal

Last sentence should have read:

Can anybody think of any reason why a person found guilty of the above should have been allowed to continue practising?

I'm hoping for an explanation of the Law Society's thinking.
    "Your vision is right, my vision is wrong, I'm sorry for smudging the air with my song"

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An independent regulator of the legal-profession is the only way to avoid this in the future. But with so many TDs being lawyers themselves, don't hold your breath.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The indepedent Financial Services Regulatory Authority didn't do a whole lot to halt whatever practises caused the banks to give out the money in an irresponsible manner so the idea that an independent regulator is the definintive method of sorting out the legal profession is a bit of a false argument.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás
    The indepedent Financial Services Regulatory Authority didn't do a whole lot to halt whatever practises caused the banks to give out the money in an irresponsible manner so the idea that an independent regulator is the definintive method of sorting out the legal profession is a bit of a false argument.
    It is still better than self - regulation.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a solicitor I was quite stunned by this. Solicitors are paranoid about their client accounts because of the grief you get for any deficit (no matter how small). So if the bank screws up and takes bank charges from the wrong account we yell at them for doing so. I was once carpeted as a trainee solicitor for suggesting that i could lodge a cheque and draw on it on the same day - a lesson i won't forget in a hurry.

Bottom line is that the client's account is other people's money. You take other people's money and it's theft. I don't understand how you can take 1.6m (even if you pay it back) and still be allowed to practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heh...

I'm a law student... seriously considering switching to doing the Kings Inns and becoming a barrister... that way I'll be broke but honest lol

This is absurd stuff altogether.
    "The fact that some posters here are better informed than a lot of our political reps, on economic matters, scares the bejesus out of them." limericklady

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trekkypj
    Heh...

I'm a law student... seriously considering switching to doing the Kings Inns and becoming a barrister... that way I'll be broke but honest lol

This is absurd stuff altogether.
    Barristers - honest? You must be mad

Sure wasn't a Barrister convicted 6 months ago of robbing the damages awarded to his client - a disabled child?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast