Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: IRA to cease all activity and pursue aims by politics

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default IRA to cease all activity and pursue aims by politics

BREAKING NEWS

"All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms. All Volunteers have been instructed to assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever.

"The IRA leadership has also authorised our representative to engage with the IICD to complete the process to verifiably put its arms beyond use in a way which will further enhance public confidence and to conclude this as quickly as possible."

Earlier....

The IRA is set to issue a statement on its future, Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams has confirmed. Hopes rose following the temporary release last night of Shankill bomber Sean Kelly, who was returned to jail by Northern Secretary Peter Hain over a month ago. His release is seen as a significant development in ensuring the IRA goes ahead with its statement.

Reports from:

Irish Independent, BBC News and RTÉ News which reports that Ahern will be 'broadly happy'. Meanwhile U.TV News reports that Gerry Adams will attend a press conference in Dublin at 4pm.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's hope that this is the end of the guns and that democracy shall prevail after this.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its with mixed emotions I await what is coming, but I know that Irish people throughout the generations have always answered the call to fight when it was needed, and while we all hope that the current phase of the struggle, the purely peaceful phase, will succeed and no other person will die or go to jail trying to achieve the independence this country has a right to we are happy in the knowledge that if required our people will always stand by their country. I know what the Army is doing is the right thing to do; I think we can politically bring about the change that we as republicans strive for.
    Just as an aside I think all republicans would like to thank the brave volunteers of the IRA who have given so much over the years, during this new phase we must never forget their sacrifice and hard work. We must continue to fight for the release of our incarcerated comrades in prisons both home and abroad. Likewise we must not forget that we are a revolutionary party, we are not part of the establishment, we must never be the establishment, and we must always have the re-unification of our party as the primary goal with all other actions and policies designed to achieve this goal. Tiocfaidh ar La.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no doubt in my mind that will be the agenda. The time for arm struggle is over for most people, it's time for the political future to move forward at an accerated rate.
    "The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a freudian slip here - "the reunification of our party" or are you just telling the truth - that what you I presume would call the 'republican movement' has always put its own interests before those of the Irish people?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The republian movements intererest is the Irish people and our future together, regardless of religion and class
    Revolution not devolution.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bombpetrol,

Excellent post!!!
    "The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woodie
    Is there a freudian slip here - "the reunification of our party" or are you just telling the truth - that what you I presume would call the 'republican movement' has always put its own interests before those of the Irish people?
    Obviously meant our country, it was written quite quickly when the boss was having a break. lol

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When will it come, even my girlfriend doesn't tease this much
    Revolution not devolution.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are the Provos disbanding exactly?

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast