Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Irish be optional for the Leaving Certificate?

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should Irish be optional for the Leaving Certificate?

This issue has been discussed on numerous threads, but it has been a long time since the issue has been given its own thread.

I was passionately in favour of the status quo in relation to it staying required.

However, I have come to believe that the issue only deflects attention away from the FF-led Govt. in relation to the other huge issues in relation to an Ghaeilge. Plus I feel that it is very negative to have a large number of people hating Irish because of its comulsory status. Is the issue worth fighting that much over really? Most of the "non-compulsory" people will probably never change their mind. Is the issue worth that much to fight over if our young people will have to grow up with a lot of people expressing their hatred to them because of its compulsory status? The status quo- because it is FF-led- creates a very bad atmosphere. Surely we should make it optional?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These constant attacks on the Irish language and culture are becoming tiresome and are the main reason I will never, ever vote for your party. I don't trust FF with my money but I don't trust you lot with something even more fundamental: my nationality. Putting the Blueshirts in power with your squeamishness about being Irish is a very scary prospect indeed.
    If you really care about the language, improve teaching methods, concentrate on conversational Irish, allocate more funding to media since we need more than one local radio station and a part-time TV station, etc., etc.
    Writing your name in Irish and telling us Enda is fluent in Irish doesn't fool anyone either. You're just a Trojan Horse to undermine it from within.

Bit of a low blow there low IQ. I would favour compulsory Irish, but I went to an all-Irish speaking school so I'm probably being a bit unfair. It is debatable how many people actually hate Irish. Back when FG first proposed the change there were two surveys published. Both showed different answers (that suited the people who ordered the surveys) but both showed that the younger a person got the more positive his attitude towards Irish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQ
    These constant attacks on the Irish language and culture are becoming tiresome and are the main reason I will never, ever vote for your party. I don't trust FF with my money but I don't trust you lot with something even more fundamental: my nationality. Putting the Blueshirts in power with your squeamishness about being Irish is a very scary prospect indeed.
    If you really care about the language, improve teaching methods, concentrate on conversational Irish, allocate more funding to media since we need more than one local radio station and a part-time TV station, etc., etc.Writing your name in Irish and telling us Enda is fluent in Irish doesn't fool anyone either. You're just a Trojan Horse to undermine it from within.
    What?! We already have a full time TV station and at least 2 radio stations that I know of. What else do you want to waste taxpayers money on? Its not as if the few people that watch and listen to the things already are going to bring in more by simply having more media outlets in irish.

And when did FG constantly attack Irish culture and the language?
    We want to see a better way to teach people irish, not enforce it on people who couldnt care less about it.
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Should Irish be optional for the Leaving Certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora
    This issue has been discussed on numerous threads, but it has been a long time since the issue has been given its own thread.

I was passionately in favour of the status quo in relation to it staying required.

However, I have come to believe that the issue only deflects attention away from the FF-led Govt. in relation to the other huge issues in relation to an Ghaeilge. Plus I feel that it is very negative to have a large number of people hating Irish because of its comulsory status. Is the issue worth fighting that much over really? Most of the "non-compulsory" people will probably never change their mind.
    The same applies to those who favour compulsory Irish, who will obviously continue to vote for parties who support the status quo. (I know of people who voted for FF candidates in the last election for that reason alone.)

No to the question.

Supporters of compulsory Irish are also in favour of ensuring that the teaching methods used are optimal, I might add.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gaelic being a compulsory language has failed.

I always thought that it should be replaced with an optional subject called "Gaelic studies" that would cover the language, music, dance, and social history of that particular section of the people of this island.

The emphasis should be on fun and the subject could be seen as a bit of light relief during a busy academic week.

There is also no reason why this subject should be subject to an examination.

Perhaps this would change people's negative opinion of this particular language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Mod>Moved to the Culture & Community forum, because it doesn't belong in Current Affairs, and there's no Education forum.</Mod>
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should not be compulsory after Junior Cert in my opinion. If the question is what is the best way to maintain and promote Irish then I think it is reasonable to conclude that compulsion has been a failure, the the Gaeltacht has been a failure and the official status of the language has been a failure.

The successes have been the Gaelscoileanna and Irish classes for adults. A revival of Irish will have to come from the grassroots and turning people off in their droves won't help that.

Making it a voluntary subject will have a double benefit. Those who like it and are good at it will score points and those who don't will not come to hate it.

I'm for the language. I always exaggerate my proficiency for the census to keep the numbers up but I don't think forcing it down peoples necks will work or has ever worked.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a radical idea - why not improve the teaching and curriculum rather than dumping it as a required subject because it's taught badly?

Dropping it as required for LC was the type of cheap electoral gimmick we have come to expect from Fine Gael and one of the reasons they never get elected. The biggest loss from all the years of British colonialism was the near destruction of our language. They also seem to have left in their wake a large group of self hating Irish people with no interest in their own language or culture.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a radical idea - why not improve the teaching and curriculum rather than dumping it as a required subject because it's taught badly?
    By jove, he's got it!

They also seem to have left in their wake a large group of self hating Irish people with no interest in their own language or culture.
    So how can improved teaching or a curriculum change work on these people, if they hate the culture anyway?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast