Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Books we read as kids...

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Books we read as kids...

So what did we read as kids? Hiving this one off the Proust thread, and in particular Hadrada's comment which evolved into an examination of Nancy Drew and her relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
    The Hardy Boys great books
    I was more a fan of the Three Investigators, with their hideout in a scrapyard in Rocky Beach. Which got me thinking about all the other books that were hoovered up as a kid.

Have to say, although I never bothered with any of the films, or even any other Tolkien stuff, I read the Hobbit again and again.

Swallows and Amazons was another series that was just wonderful. So evocative of an innocent age.

Loved the Just William, Billy Bunter and Jennings books.

And of course, like millions and millions, we all went through a phase of devouring books about the Secret Seven, the Five Find Outers and the Famous Five.

Also had a Fighting Fantasy phase, much to the parents irritation - "another book about goblins?".

So are kids today still reading this stuff, and if so are they missing out on using their imagination, or did the whole reading thing belong in a bygone era and kids should now be encouraged to get on their computers and go gaming?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    So what did we read as kids? Hiving this one off the Proust thread, and in particular Hadrada's comment which evolved into an examination of Nancy Drew and her relationship.

I was more a fan of the Three Investigators, with their hideout in a scrapyard in Rocky Beach. Which got me thinking about all the other books that were hoovered up as a kid.

Have to say, although I never bothered with any of the films, or even any other Tolkien stuff, I read the Hobbit again and again.

Swallows and Amazons was another series that was just wonderful. So evocative of an innocent age.

And of course, like millions and millions, we all went through a phase of devouring books about the Secret Seven, the Five Find Outers and the Famous Five.

Also had a Fighting Fantasy phase, much to the parents irritation - "another book about goblins?".

So are kids today still reading this stuff, and if so are they missing out on using their imagination, or did the whole reading thing belong in a bygone era and kids should now be encouraged to get on their computers and go gaming?

I think that JK Rowling's success gives some hope...

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post

I have to battle to get junior to read. The attention span just isn't there
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Colfer's, similarly.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most Children don't read today or if they do it is books with a lot of pictures and small

word content. When I was young there were no pictures in books just dense text.

I read everything our local library could supply. But there was no television in those

pre-history days!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    What age?
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I guess you can't beat a love of literature into 'em any more?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Voracious reader in a house full of books. One I particularly remember was Robinson Crusoe. Also tackled Lord Liverpool's books on war crimes - Scourge of the Swastika and Knights of Bushido. And quite a few books by people like Walter Macken. We were lucky to have great books at school - Cry the beloved Country comes to mind. One I wish I hadn't read - The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Thats stuff is an insult to fantasy genre. (Harry Potter blows)

The Weirdstone of Brizingamen and the Moon of Gomrath are legends , I found them in the local mobile library when I was about ten. They are the sole reason I went on two read the Fantasy Classics , Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Lord of the Rings. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    What age?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast