Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: If you lived in Scotland how would you vote on Referendum day?

Voters
303. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes for independence

245 80.86%
  • No to keep the Union

52 17.16%
  • I wouldn't vote

6 1.98%
Page 1 of 1133 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Will 2014 be the year of Independence for Scotland?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Will 2014 be the year of Independence for Scotland?

Well the big date in politics next year is 18/09/2014. This is the day of the referendum to decide on whether or not Scotland will stay in the Uk. Basically it is a vote Yes for Independence (albeit limited) and No to stay in the Union.
    I think the vote will be really close. I'm inclined to think it will be rejected. But time is on the side of the SNP. If it is rejected in 2014 sooner or later it will be accepted imho.
    Together we can make Scotland better. | Scottish National Party
    Lets keep Dublin litter free- Coinnigh Atha Cliatha glán

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The polls are not that encouraging for the yes side:
    Scottish independence: Yes campaigners heartened by poll - The Scotsman

35 v 43%
    Or 37 v 47%

I expect it to be a vote to remain in the UK, by about 2:1.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no,the big day next year will be the eu elections when ukip will attain massive gains. the French rightwing party also.that will change uk politics.how the scot react will be interesting but I doubt they will choose to go it alone into an eu that will be shown to be increasingly disliked..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    Well the big date in politics next year is 18/09/2014. This is the day of the referendum to decide on whether or not Scotland will stay in the Uk. Basically it is a vote Yes for Independence (albeit limited) and No to stay in the Union.
    I think the vote will be really close. I'm inclined to think it will be rejected. But time is on the side of the SNP. If it is rejected in 2014 sooner or later it will be accepted imho.
    Together we can make Scotland better. | Scottish National Party
    The majority of Scots are well and truly brainwashed that liberty comes at a terrible price.

They have had the spirit of freedom destroyed by all the freebies where the same government charges English people for things they allow the Scots to have for free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The core problem is that we're close to the date and the "Yes" side still haven't defined what a yes vote will result in. What currency will be used, will they be in the EU, what interest rate will there be, what will their military look like etc etc.

Simply saying "Oh we'll use British pound" when the people who run the British Pound say No won't work. Simply saying "Oh we'll still be in the EU" when the EU haven't said that will be so won't work.

These are big questions that, once you strip away the emotional element, need to be answered before an educated person can vote Yes.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Naw, it wullnae.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't really mind either way - I suppose I vaguely feel it would be a pity if we split up after such a long period of history, but the practical changes would be minimal.

I would like the issue settled though. Obviously it can't be settled forever, but if it's a "no" to independence, I hope that the "yes" side will accept that for the forseeable future - as should the "no" side if it is a "yes".
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The core problem is that we're close to the date and the "Yes" side still haven't defined what a yes vote will result in. What currency will be used, will they be in the EU, what interest rate will there be, what will their military look like etc etc.

Simply saying "Oh we'll use British pound" when the people who run the British Pound say No won't work. Simply saying "Oh we'll still be in the EU" when the EU haven't said that will be so won't work.

These are big questions that, once you strip away the emotional element, need to be answered before an educated person can vote Yes.
    I personally can see no combination of circumstances which will make Scotland vote for its independence next year.
    There are many reasons for this, perhaps the largest one is that people everywhere and in every circumstance fear change, be it be in the workplace, your choice of where to live, whatever.
    The independence campaign will be fragmented by a host of issues, which are highlighted daily in the likes of the (Glasgow) Herald, the Scotsman, etc.
    Currency, defense, membership of NATO, Republic v Monarchy, the black ops by the better together movement, and we see this constantly on this island by groups such as IBEC, where the fear factor is deployed to great effect with stories of increased taxation, job losses, and so forth.
    Their would probably be an added dimension in that, for want of a better term, the Irish community in Scotland and their descendants, would also be divided and quite fearful of their position in an independent country.
    Neil Lennon's one time lawyer, Paul McBride, prior to passing away suddenly last year, was opposed to Scottish independence citing a fearful and uncertain future for Catholics in such a scenario. On this side of the sea readers may misunderstand or be disinterested in the culture in the Scottish lowland belt in these matters, but be assured it is an all too real for those who live with it...it may sway those who have no affinity to a GB with herself at the helm, but may fear a worse outcome with what may replace it.
    All the no side has to do to triumph is to quietly play on this and promote an atmosphere of trepidation at the unknown future.
    To have a greater understanding, then it may be necessary to accept those who lived through the war in the north, and perhaps just for once accept the wisdom that emanates therein that Scottish regiments were traditionally the worst behaved when posted to the six counties....a cursory glance at the youtube videos from the recent "Armed Forces Day" at Castle Greyskull should be evidence enough.
    Or, for an alternative analysis, I direct you to Tommy O'Brien's lengthy dissertation on post no 7.