Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Gibbons and the Boot Boys

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Jim Gibbons and the Boot Boys

Quote Originally Posted by politics.ie wiki
    Gibbons was sacked by Haughey when he succeeded Lynch and never again would reach Ministerial office. He was firmly on the Colley wing of the party. After he lost his seat at the 1981 General Election he called for a change of leadership. He regained his seat at the February 1982 General Election and voted against Haughey in the leadership challenge that was proposed by Charlie McCreevy. Leaving the Dáil after the vote he was attacked by a number of drunken Fianna Fáil supporters and forced to the ground. A friend of his brandished a sword and saw off the attackers. Some weeks later he suffered a heart attack and was unable to vote for Haughey later that year in a no-confidence motion at which point the government fell. He lost his seat in the November 1982 General Election and retired from politics. He suffered from ill health during the last years of his life and suffered a number of heart attacks and strokes. He died on the 20th December 1997.
    Was it ever established who the people who attacked Jim Gibbons were?
    The theory of De-evolution is proven every day on the internet

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Jim Gibbons and the Boot Boys

Quote Originally Posted by RBinge
    Gibbons was sacked by Haughey when he succeeded Lynch and never again would reach Ministerial office. He was firmly on the Colley wing of the party. After he lost his seat at the 1981 General Election he called for a change of leadership. He regained his seat at the February 1982 General Election and voted against Haughey in the leadership challenge that was proposed by Charlie McCreevy. Leaving the Dáil after the vote he was attacked by a number of drunken Fianna Fáil supporters and forced to the ground. A friend of his brandished a sword and saw off the attackers. Some weeks later he suffered a heart attack and was unable to vote for Haughey later that year in a no-confidence motion at which point the government fell. He lost his seat in the November 1982 General Election and retired from politics. He suffered from ill health during the last years of his life and suffered a number of heart attacks and strokes. He died on the 20th December 1997.
    Was it ever established who the people who attacked Jim Gibbons were?

"Just off to work now love. Eh, did you see where I left me sword last night?".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Jim Gibbons and the Boot Boys

Gibbons was sacked by Haughey when he succeeded Lynch and never again would reach Ministerial office. He was firmly on the Colley wing of the party. After he lost his seat at the 1981 General Election he called for a change of leadership. He regained his seat at the February 1982 General Election and voted against Haughey in the leadership challenge that was proposed by Charlie McCreevy. Leaving the Dáil after the vote he was attacked by a number of drunken Fianna Fáil supporters and forced to the ground. A friend of his brandished a sword and saw off the attackers.
    WTF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a lot of bad blood within FF over the Arms Crises of 1970 when the general perception was IIRC that Gibbons was one of the Ministers who hung Haughey out to dry.

In 1970 the "Arms Crisis" broke when Charles Haughey and Neil T. Blaney were sacked by Taoiseach Jack Lynch as he believed they were complicit in a plot to import arms into Northern Ireland which were seized by the Defence Forces. At the subsequent Arms Trial Gibbons would be the chief prosecutorial witness and his evidence would contradict Haughey’s.

http://www.politics.ie/wiki/index.php?title=Jim_Gibbons

Sure attacking someone like that (if true) was a lousey thing to do but Gibbons made a lot of enemies within the Party that didn't forget his role in that particular Debacle.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

enemies or otherwise, i can think of stronger words than "lousey" (sic) to use when describing what happened to Jim Gibbons. Assault being one, Imtimidation is another.

I heard suggestions of a couple of names of those who had beaten up Jim Gibbons and they were from FF Dublin North.

Far as I was aware they were kicked out of FF then and there and not let back in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I am aware of some of the people who attacked Gibbons. Some were from the Carlow/Kilklenny constituency (Gibbons own constituency) but, or course, I can't name them here. It's news to me that they were expelled from FF. I know of one who certainly wasn't expelled.
    TiobradÁrann

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Arms Trial acquittals effectively rendered Gibbons a liar and perjurer - a fact often overlooked when discussing this period.

Irrespective of what he had done in 1970's the actions of a mindless mob in attacking a member of parliament and getting away with it is disgusting.

The 3 individuals I know of were expelled from FF and they were from Dublin North.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by john scott View Post
    Yes, I am aware of some of the people who attacked Gibbons. Some were from the Carlow/Kilklenny constituency (Gibbons own constituency) but, or course, I can't name them here. It's news to me that they were expelled from FF. I know of one who certainly wasn't expelled.
    Were they ever charged with assault?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast