Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Ireland reluctant to rejoin the UK out of pride?

Default Are Ireland reluctant to rejoin the UK out of pride?

Do you think it is possible that the main reason why Ireland doesn't want to rejoin the UK is out of pride?

Because they don't want to feel as though the war of independence was for nothing, they don't want to feel as though they've wasted so many promising young lives fighting the British.

Think about the reasons why Ireland left the union:

1. No say over their own affairs.
    Answer - in these modern times they would have their own parliament in the UK.

2. Discrimination against Catholics in the general and specifically the Act Of Settlement. No doubt such discrimination isn't tolerated in modern times and I'm sure the British would agree to repeal the Act Of Settlement should Ireland rejoin.

3. Irish famine - in the unrealistic event that another famine happened would the British leave the Irish to starve in modern times? NO.

Of course I'm sure they're are other reasons but they are just a couple of the main ones.

Think about this sensibly - if Ireland were to rejoin the UK there would be many benefits - being in the same country as Northern Ireland once again for a start as well as being part of a bigger more powerful country where their ecomony would be even stronger. I don't think too many people would argue with this little statement - If an independent Ireland and the UK were equally were run by their governments economically then the UK economy would be stronger, would it not? That's what Ireland could look forward to.

I hope people don't just dismiss these arguments for rejoining the UK because they are too proud to admit that Ireland should rejoin and because they don't want to feel as though their War of Independence was for nothing.

Think about it in a positive way - if Ireland were to rejoin the UK where Catholics have equal rights and hold high positions of power and with a national parliament then Irish Independence for 80 odd years could be seen as a positive for having achieved a better Ireland WITHIN the UK at a FUTURE date.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The argument in favour of Northern Ireland joining an all-island independent state outside the UK is stronger than the argument in favour of the Republic joining the UK.

Perhaps your should ask yourself why the majority in NI are so against the idea of unification with the ROI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure why doesn't the UK join the Euro? or join up an EU superstate with the House of Commons just serving as a toothless regional parliament. Give up the auld Queen and her hangers on as they're at it. Perhaps it's British pride. I know, don't feed the Trolls....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Are Ireland reluctant to rejoin the UK out of pride?

Quote Originally Posted by Petermaniac
    Do you think it is possible that the main reason why Ireland doesn't want to rejoin the UK is out of pride?
    No, it's economic.

Your list of reasons why Ireland left the UK is incomplete. You omitted the economic exploitation of Ireland by Britain.

There is much we can learn from and respect in Britain. but why rejoin the UK when we have a bigger better union with Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner
    No, it's economic.

Your list of reasons why Ireland left the UK is incomplete. You omitted the economic exploitation of Ireland by Britain.

There is much we can learn from and respect in Britain. but why rejoin the UK when we have a bigger better union with Europe?
    Because you don't share a language with Europe and are not as geographically close to mainland Europe as you are to the UK.

As for the economic exploitation of Ireland by Britain - do you honestly feel that this would occur if Ireland was to have its own parliament within a federal UK?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rejoin the UK, wow; for your next trick you can ask the people of Isreal how they'd like to move back to Germany and Eastern Europe or, better still, just ****************************** off you twat.
    Brits out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hallion
    Rejoin the UK, wow; for your next trick you can ask the people of Isreal how they'd like to move back to Germany and Eastern Europe or, better still, just ****************************** off you twat.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen” - Albert Einstein

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because they don't want to feel as though the war of independence was for nothing, they don't want to feel as though they've wasted so many promising young lives fighting the British.

2. Discrimination against Catholics in the general and specifically the Act Of Settlement. No doubt such discrimination isn't tolerated in modern times and I'm sure the British would agree to repeal the Act Of Settlement should Ireland rejoin.

3. Irish famine - in the unrealistic event that another famine happened would the British leave the Irish to starve in modern times? NO.

Of course I'm sure they're are other reasons but they are just a couple of the main ones.

Think about this sensibly - if Ireland were to rejoin the UK there would be many benefits - being in the same country as Northern Ireland once again for a start as well as being part of a bigger more powerful country where their ecomony would be even stronger. I don't think too many people would argue with this little statement - If an independent Ireland and the UK were equally were run by their governments economically then the UK economy would be stronger, would it not? That's what Ireland could look forward to.

I hope people don't just dismiss these arguments for rejoining the UK because they are too proud to admit that Ireland should rejoin and because they don't want to feel as though their War of Independence was for nothing.

Think about it in a positive way - if Ireland were to rejoin the UK where Catholics have equal rights and hold high positions of power and with a national parliament then Irish Independence for 80 odd years could be seen as a positive for having achieved a better Ireland WITHIN the UK at a FUTURE date.

What do you think?

The UK as an economic and geographical unit is slowly dying. Ask the people of Wales or Scotland. Ask the legislators of Brussels. Why would the people of Ireland wish to intrude on this private grief?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think?
    And let's not forget acts of genocide under Ollie Cromwell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something that's always intrigued me about northern unionists is that they somehow feel as if they are actually truly appreciated by the English within the UK.

When one look at the UK Order of Precedence shows a hierarchy in which the English view northern unionists as being basically at the bottom.

Basically it goes

Royal Family
    Toffs of England
    Toffs of Scotland
    Toffs of Great Britain
    Toffs of Northern Ireland
    Toffs of the UK

Wikipedia Link
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast