Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 120 students in Dingle protest over policy of new school

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 120 students in Dingle protest over policy of new school

According to the Nuacht on TG4 120 students from a school in Dingle refused to go into school today as a protest at the schools new Irish-language policy.

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne began teaching last month, after the amalgamation of two local schools. Only one of those schools was a gaelscoil. Hence there are a lot of pupils who argubably do not have the standard of Irish for a second-level gaelscoil or gaelcholáiste.

There was a public meeting on the issue a couple of days ago with many parents arguing that the school should have an as Béarla stream.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this anywhere near the place in Kerry (An Daingean?) where pupils allegedly burnt down their secondary school about a year ago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, that was the CBS which has become amalgamated into the new school.

There is a threadon the issue on Slugger O' Toole.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: 120 students in Dingle protest over policy of new school

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora
    According to the Nuacht on TG4 120 students from a school in Dingle refused to go into school today as a protest at the schools new Irish-language policy.

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne began teaching last month, after the amalgamation of two local schools. Only one of those schools was a gaelscoil. Hence there are a lot of pupils who argubably do not have the standard of Irish for a second-level gaelscoil or gaelcholáiste.

There was a public-meeting on the issue a couple of days ago with many parents arguing that the school should have an as Béarla stream.
    Amalgamating two schools that use two different language mediums is crazy.

Whoever pushed the idea should be shot.
    Poni welwch chwi hynt y gwynt a'r glaw?
    Poni welwch chi'r deri'n ymdaraw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, its totally impractical. What about students that finished third year in the CBS? They are now supposed to do their L Cert through Irish?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, its totally impractical. What about students that finished third year in the CBS? They are now supposed to do their L Cert through Irish?
    It should have been possible to provide a 'mixed language' stream for two or three years just to get the senior classes through their leaving cert. But I don't really have much sympathy for their situation. They are living in a Gaeltacht and their school is in a Gaeltacht. Why haven't they made an effort to learn the language?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    It should have been possible to provide a 'mixed language' stream for two or three years just to get the senior classes through their leaving cert. But I don't really have much sympathy for their situation. They are living in a Gaeltacht and their school is in a Gaeltacht. Why haven't they made an effort to learn the language?
    Not the point.

I don't sympathise with them either, but if you push them into an Irish medium school, they'll Anglicise it.
    Poni welwch chwi hynt y gwynt a'r glaw?
    Poni welwch chi'r deri'n ymdaraw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor
    Quote Originally Posted by Coles
    Not the point.

I don't sympathise with them either, but if you push them into an Irish medium school, they'll Anglicise it.
    What are you talking about?

The management of the school said they would not provide an English language stream. How are the students that have not gone to a gaelscoil before expected to be able to do their Junior and Leaving Cert through Irish?

Also, I could have been wrong but according to Slugger O'Toole neither of the two previous schools were gaelscoileanna- although one might have had quasi-status.

Finally, Dingle is as much in the Gaeltacht as parts of Galway city are. Hence it isn't in the Gaeltacht- only offically, which means nothing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now now lads, no reason to fight over it.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dingle isn't in the Gaeltacht- only offically, which means nothing.
    Means nothing? I think these students are finding out that it means quite a bit more than 'nothing', particularly as they are looking for the State to provide them with an education.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast