Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Donation and the Gays

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Blood Donation and the Gays

As most of you know, the Irish Blood Transfusion Service Board does not permit people to doante blood in the following circumstances:

Never give blood if:

You have received a blood transfusion (other than an autologous transfusion) in the Republic of Ireland on or after the 1st January 1980

You received a blood transfusion (other than an autologous transfusion) outside the Republic of Ireland at anytime

You have spent 1 year or more, in total, in the UK in the years 1980 to 1996

You are a male who has ever had anal or oral sex with another male, even if a condom or other form of protection was used

You have ever used a needle to take unprescribed drugs, this includes body building drugs

You or your partner is HIV positive

You have had jaundice of uncertain cause after the age of 13 years

You have had hepatitis B or C

Link: http://www.ibts.ie/generic.cfm?mID=2&sID=79

All of these are quite understandable, except the one highlighted. Do people think this is fair and just? If people wish to reply, I'd prefer that we do it on the understanding that I'm not posting this to become a rant about how I'm deeply offended by not having automatic equality - I do believe that if a certain minority do pose a legitimate risk then of course measures should be taken to protect the rest of the population. Worse however would be for the debate to become a homophobic silly-season. That being said, I do think this ban is not justifiable, and wonder if there may be an unthinking degree of homophobia behind it.... thoughts???
    INTJ | Economic L/R: -8.50 | Social Lib/Auth: -8.51

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed. If people have only ever had protected sex, than how exactly would it be possible for them to have contracted HIV? However, they could be worried about other std's that can be transmitted from kissing in extreme circumstances, but still, that would have been stipulated.

Does all blood not undergo rigourous testing after being extracted anyway?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach
    Indeed. If people have only ever had protected sex, than how exactly would it be possible for them to have contracted HIV. However, they could be worried about other std's that can be transmitted from kissing in extreme circumstances.
    But why ban the gays then? The vast majority of new HIV infections are in heterosexuals..
    INTJ | Economic L/R: -8.50 | Social Lib/Auth: -8.51

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any way I can ensure I'm never given DUP blood ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think that when this rule was created that it was explicitly homophobic as the AIDS epidemic did appear to be the 'gay plague'.

However now, with adequate sex education there is no reason why safe gay sex should be any more conducive to STI than heterosexual sex.

Regardless, all donated blood is now tested for HIV/AIDS and it would now appear that at a time when blood donor services are crying out for donors they are forcing a blanket ban on any man who has had sex with another man and that is discrimintation.
    We should be shaping an Ireland based on full respect for the human and civil rights of all our people, an Ireland of which Larkin and Connolly would be very proud.

Sean Farren

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look the purpose of giving blood is to help other people.

Getting upset because of percieved discrimination does not help car crash victims or premature babies.

Do you think that if that restriction was dropped, the empirical evidence proves that there would be a greater supply of useable blood?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't even proscribe heterosexual people who have had unprotected sex. I would love for them to one day explain their rationale.

Why they single out homosexual males is probably due to the infection rate being twice as high among us than it is among heterosexuals. I believe 1 in every 500 gay men have HIV, whereas it is 1 in every 1000 among heterosexuals.

But I would have presumed that this would be considered irrelevant.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badboy

Getting upset because of percieved discrimination does not help car crash victims or premature babies.

Do you think that if that restriction was dropped, the empirical evidence proves that there would be a greater supply of useable blood?
    What doesn't help car crash victims or premature babies is when their potential donors are refused the opportunity to help because they're a bummer
    We should be shaping an Ireland based on full respect for the human and civil rights of all our people, an Ireland of which Larkin and Connolly would be very proud.

Sean Farren

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badboy

But I have a social conscience. Recently I got tested, as all people should, and found blood just shot out of me. I then thought to myself, wow I should donate blood then given that it is so easy, but was sadly reminded that given I was a gay man I couldn't. Frequently they have blood banks set up around college, and I have been tempted to go in and just lie, just to make a charitable contribution. Why should I not be allowed to make a difference to someone's life?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Blood Donation and the Gays

Quote Originally Posted by diego
    All of these are quite understandable, except the one highlighted.
    Even the one about having spent a year or more in the UK between 1980 and 1996?!

Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast