Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mary Hanafin: Complete Dumbass Or Just Extremely Naive?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mary Hanafin: Complete Dumbass Or Just Extremely Naive?

On the front of todays Irish Times (at the bottom) was a piece about Mary Hanafin warning 'of the dangers of secondary school students going abroad in groups for post-examination holidays'. Besides the obvious fact that by the time you've finished your Leaving Cert, your no longer a secondary school student, she is marvelled by the recent trend where groups of 30, 40, 50 or even 100 go off to Crete or Ibiza!!

By contrast, (and this really is taking the michael), 12 young people (presumably male) from Blackrock College are heading off to work in South Africa (What the article neglects to tell you is that after 1 week of work, the 2nd is spent getting trashed like their comrades in Crete).

To top it off, she begs the question, 'Does a 17 year old really need a car? The motive to ask this stems from; a lack of car spaces in schools, and, where is your 17 year old at night.

Besides shitting myself laughing and rolling around on the floor in hysterics while trying to eat my cornflakes this morning, a thought struck me. How the ************************ is this woman elected, a minister, or even allowed to open her mouth (in front of an audience as well!!)? My estimation of the Irish Times has dropped a bit as well, seeing that this utter tripe actually got into the paper.
    Greatest forest in the history of trees.

Does a 17 year old need a car???? Me thinks not. Stinks of rich spoilt brat culture sneeking into Ireland from California.....

Seriously though, Hanafin has a point as regards the post LC holidays; they can be dangerous affairs and every year there tends to be a fatality during these holidays.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabscallion
    Does a 17 year old need a car???? Me thinks not. Stinks of rich spoilt brat culture sneeking into Ireland from California.....

Seriously though, Hanafin has a point as regards the post LC holidays; they can be dangerous affairs and every year there tends to be a fatality during these holidays.
    I can't believe your tryung to justify this. Does the fact that these people are on the verge of adulthood even cross her radar? I went on a Leaving Cert Holiday, and yeah people ************************************ themselves up (I personally was very close to developing septecemia off some dirty Greek bacteria), but these things happen wherever you go. I'd like to see you illustrate the difference between a leaving cert. hol and a J1 trip abroad after first year college.

As for the cars, there may be reasons why a 17 year old shouldn't have one, but 'where are they at night' is hardly top of the list. It says a lot about Mary Hanafins priorities, when she is focused on the acts of people who within a year or less will be their own masters.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope, not at all. I was offered a car and turned it down. What possible use could a 17 year old have for one. I use the bus, DART, bike or in the very worst case, get a lift.

She is right to highlight concern, but at the same time its not right that after the stress of the LC that people should be denied freedoms. If they can afford it without scabbing off their parents, why not?

To a large extent, the difference between a J1visa trip and a 1 or 2 week holiday in the sun is that many people on a J1 would intend to work, study or at least travel - whereas on an LC holiday tho main objective is to get smashed every night.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GusherING

I can't believe your tryung to justify this. Does the fact that these people are on the verge of adulthood even cross her radar? I went on a Leaving Cert Holiday, and yeah people f***** themselves up (I personally was very close to developing septecemia off some dirty Greek bacteria)
    You should have wore a johnny
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't believe your tryung to justify this. Does the fact that these people are on the verge of adulthood even cross her radar? I went on a Leaving Cert Holiday, and yeah people f***** themselves up (I personally was very close to developing septecemia off some dirty Greek bacteria)
    I got it off a cut on my foot, i'll have you know. I got the various other diseases from the talent though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got it off a cut on my foot, i'll have you know. I got the various other diseases from the talent though.

No doubt she was English.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether

No doubt she was English.
    I'm not sure. I was very drunk (as you do).

Dude. You shouldn't be doing that with your foot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast